Author Topic: New Member looking to convert MK3 8v to 1.8 20v Turbo  (Read 27380 times)

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
Re: New Member looking to convert MK3 8v to 1.8 20v Turbo
« Reply #20 on: 10 September 2010, 15:03 »

regarding the 2nd gear crunching etc, this is a common problem with the 8v boxes as they are pretty weak, but the 16v boxes dont suffer from this

Which 16v 'boxes?
O2A sure as hell do...2nd to 3rd synchros go. I've had mine re-built so solve that exact problem...
All VAG gearboxes are crap in that respect. My S3's O2M had the same synchro start to go.

Reducing my Golf count by the week....
..but gaining motorcycles.

Offline GolfGTI8v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #21 on: 10 September 2010, 15:06 »
Cheers Guys,

Im likeing the sound of 5 wires :grin: anyone got anymore specific info??????,  I chuck my 8v ecu, use AGU engine loom and ecu and try and marry up AGU  loom to the 8v loom ?  ive got a mate who is quite handy with wiring and has wired alot of ford engine conversion but never VAG stuff im hoping he can help.  

Id like to keep VAG com if i can,  wont i lose the ABS etc with aftermarket? or is that seperate to the ecu?

ive got my eyes on an AGU lump hoping to pick up mid next week

:smiley:

Offline GolfGTI8v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 10 September 2010, 15:10 »
@ Ess_Three

Is this a syncro problem? i had my 8v box recon'd 2k ago and from the word go it crunched with fast changes (Only up into 2nd)  when i challenged the company that rebuilt the box i was told im being to "aggressive" and there is nothing itself wrong with the box?  Must be VWs as no other cars ive ever owned have had crunching issues  :rolleyes:

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 10 September 2010, 15:15 »
Cheers Guys,

I chuck my 8v ecu, use AGU engine loom and ecu and try and marry up AGU  loom to the 8v loom ?  ive got a mate who is quite handy with wiring and has wired alot of ford engine conversion but never VAG stuff im hoping he can help.  

Use the full AGU loom back to the fusebox...
Keep the Golf loom for heating, lights etc.

Id like to keep VAG com if i can,  wont i lose the ABS etc with aftermarket? or is that seperate to the ecu?

No, you keep the ABS...it's different wiring and a different controller.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 10 September 2010, 15:19 »
@ Ess_Three

Is this a syncro problem? i had my 8v box recon'd 2k ago and from the word go it crunched with fast changes (Only up into 2nd)  when i challenged the company that rebuilt the box i was told im being to "aggressive" and there is nothing itself wrong with the box?  Must be VWs as no other cars ive ever owned have had crunching issues  :rolleyes:

It's a soft-as-sh!te synchro material problem.
My old 8v O2O did it, 2nd to 3rd...
As did my pre-rebuild O2A 16v 'box...
As did my S3 O2M 'box.
Even my Fabia vRS was showing the signs as I sold it.
Funny that my old Nova, XR2, ITR & 911 didn't, all driven in the same manner by the same driver.

I think being 'aggressive' is the problem. Go forward, accross, forward...and it's fine. It'll last forever.
Go diagonally accross the gate and it'll end up crunching.
Diagonally may be fine on long ratio diesel gearboxes...but it's no use on a close ratio, short geared 'box.

kells

« Reply #25 on: 10 September 2010, 15:20 »
Hi kells, 

Is the derv box option better that the box fitted to the AGU in the MK4? from reading on here the hydro clutch conversion doesnt look too hard and i guess it would be best to retain the MK4 box.  Does this bolt up ok with 16v mounts?

Have you competed your conversion?, if so how did you find the wiring?  I'm quite put off the qpeng stuff after reading about the lack of knock sensor.  Im keen to keep the original AGU management but totally lost in regards to the clocks, immobilizer, keys and the wiring/combining looms in general.

:huh:

Thanks

Andy

alright matey,

doing mine around dec/jan time, ill be using the OEM management, as thats just how i like to roll but i know LL has not had no issues with his qpeng set up, the knock sensor isnt a reason id not use it either.

as for the Gearbox, not sure which way im gonna go now, i really want to run the S3 6 speed box if im honest

Offline GolfGTI8v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #26 on: 10 September 2010, 15:26 »
S3 6 speed box Sounds good buddy!  is this the same fitment as the mk4 golf AGU box and thus requires mounts to be fabricated?

:sad:

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 10 September 2010, 15:28 »

as for the Gearbox, not sure which way im gonna go now, i really want to run the S3 6 speed box if im honest

Jeez...it's massive.
Heavy as hell, and huge.

If you want a 6 speed why not look for a Mk4 FWD 6 speed 'box?
O2S I think...easier to make fit than a O2M.

If you really want to go O2M, don't Dutchdub do a set of mounting bits?

The other option would be a 6 speed gear kit for your O2A?
Not cheap mind...but you can pick the ratios/FD.

Offline Ess_Three

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 10 September 2010, 15:32 »
S3 6 speed box Sounds good buddy!  is this the same fitment as the mk4 golf AGU box and thus requires mounts to be fabricated?

:sad:

Oh no...it's physically about twice the size and has completely different mounts.
O2A-O2J-O2S are all basically the same casing - and much as it's been said that an O2J won't fit...it will with minimal mods. There are holes that may need tapping / drilling out...but it'll go if you want it to.
Same, I believe, with O2S....although never had an O2S out of the car to comapre.

O2M (S3/TT) is a completely different design...and is so big you'll have to limit yiour steering lock or you'll risk hitting the O2M casing.
It'll fit the engine...but not so easily the engine bay.

Offline GolfGTI8v

• Not said much yet
« Reply #29 on: 10 September 2010, 15:32 »
hi Ess_Three 

soft syncro metal ?  would a reputable gearbox company not replace all syncro as part of a rebuild,  i was told they threw the contents of my old 8v box in the bin when i took it in as it had 'destroyed itself'  ?? it cruched in to 2nd before and after the rebuild??  could it be they reused old syncros ?????  :angry: