Author Topic: "Please Check Oil Level"  (Read 9503 times)

Offline MaceGTi

• Just got here
"Please Check Oil Level"
« on: 30 January 2007, 11:27 »
Hi everyone, long time reader, first time poster.

Apologies if this has already been done (or in the wrong forum) but I'm having an issue with my oil light; bloody thing won't go off!

(I have a 2002 115bhp GTi)

Last August my oil light came on telling me to check the oil level, which I did and refilled accordingly... but then it wouldn't go off. I took it to the garage and they said the bonnet sensor had broke so the car didn't think the bonnet had been lifted, meaning it didn't know there was now more oil in it.

Anyways, got that fixed (125 bloody quid) and that's that.

I then had another light come on telling me it needs servicing (which it didn't) but I couldn't get the thing off without jakking into a diagnostics machine (another 50 quid).... but my mate who's a mechanic found a combination that can be pressed on the dashboard (mileage clocks etc) to clear it off, and it worked.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a similar combination that I could do to clear off this oil light warning?

I assume it's a general reset combination...?

Just don't fancy being dicked over again at the garage (is it bad that I just don't trust not one single garage?!).

Thanks to anyone who can help, will be much appreciated.  :smiley:

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
Re: "Please Check Oil Level"
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2007, 13:35 »
The bonnet sensor thing sounds a bit dodgy to me, think you've been done mate.  there is an oil level sensor which may or may not be goosed.  Is it an oil level or pressure light?  If its pressure you don't want to be driving till its sorted.

Service indicator reset instruction are in the handbook.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline MaceGTi

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2007, 15:04 »
It's the orange oil light that's on on the dash, and the text says "PLEASE CHECK OIL LEVEL"...

So don't think it's pressure.

I actually took it to a VW garage too last time. I'll have a look at the receipt when I'm home to see what work exactly it was that they carried out. wayne kerrs.

Do parts replaced/fixed have a 12 month warranty?

Offline Mantamad

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2007, 22:46 »
Not at all convinced on the bonnet sensor theory myself. I am 99.9% sure that the bonnet sensor is only for the alarm system. The engine itself has an oil level sensor so its most likely to be a faulty sensor if your level is OK.

It might be worth having a look under the car to check the wiring to the sensor, if the connection here is dirty, corroded or loose, that could be your problem.
Black 2002 GT TDi 130

Offline GolfGL

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2007, 19:51 »
£50 to press the dash buttons for 30secs work is a proper rip off. Which light do you mean, the yellow one on the dials or the red "oil service" in the mfa display?
Audi TT 3.2 24v v6 2005 - The Sloth - Weekends
VW Golf 2.0 8v GTI 1996 - Lemonade II -Daily
MNR Vortx Yamaha R1 2009 - Track days
Sold Seat Leon Cupra R 225 -LM04 NDE "Lemonade"

Offline vaughn

• I live here
  • now team wagon, and team grumpy trainee
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2007, 20:02 »
where abouts do you live mate as my bro`s got vagcom and could turn it off/check what is wrong?

57 plate black 5dr ed30, 1969 bay window devon camper. thats all for now folks, hopefully picking up a wagon tomoz

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 03 February 2007, 16:44 »
Interesting point on the bonnet sensor - I've (very) recently discovered that you can re adapt the throttle body in DBW engines by opening the bonnet, leaving drivers door open and turning the ignition to position two.  Wait for the high pitch whine to stop and voila', TB is adapted.  (recently had it cleaned).

Wont work unless the drivers door and bonet are open when you turn the key so perhaps there is a tiny bit of truth in what you were told about your bonnet sensor being knacked.  Perhaps the ECU does take that into account when it displays errors.........
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2007, 02:35 »
How odd, I thought it was just tied in with the alarm system too. I know it can get very cruddy and mucky and would be amazed if all of them out there actually work!

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2007, 02:38 »
I have vagcom too. So if you want to save yourself £50 find someone near you who has it.
I also have a full list of fault codes and probable causes :wink:

Offline nadlad

• I live here
  • Building Surveyor MRICS
« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2007, 15:49 »
def bonnet sensor coz otherwise the brain of the car thinks no one has opened the bonnet ,mine os off its broper hook so i have to physically press it with a screwdriver in as the bonnet catch doesnt quite strike the sensor , but after a few pushes of the sensor the light will coem off had the same prob

anyone know wehere to get a glove box door from except stealers.

<<<Big Build Thread>>>