Author Topic: Austin wheels - white worm  (Read 8234 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: Austin wheels - white worm
« Reply #30 on: 16 April 2021, 09:05 »
Bit late to this thread but was interested in the insurance aspect. A few family members run BMWs with summer and winter wheels. They’ve been told that if the diameter of the wheel doesn’t increase their insurance companies aren’t interested. That surprised me.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 16 April 2021, 09:53 »
Bit late to this thread but was interested in the insurance aspect. A few family members run BMWs with summer and winter wheels. They’ve been told that if the diameter of the wheel doesn’t increase their insurance companies aren’t interested. That surprised me.

There’s no standard approach by all insurers to modifications - each will have its own approach to what they consider does or doesn’t constitute an increase in the insurance risk.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 16 April 2021, 12:41 »
I appreciate there is no common approach across insurance companies. I learned from a discussion with mine when notifying them of a change, that if the diameter and width of the change corresponds to an option offered by the the manufacturer they are ok with that and no charge is likely. However, they still want to be notified to maintain cover.

« Last Edit: 16 April 2021, 12:56 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #33 on: 16 April 2021, 14:01 »
There are three potential risk aspects with changing the wheels to your car:

1) a wrong choice in size could make the vehicle less roadworthy and likely to have an accident.

2) those £6000 quid BBS wheels could mean your wheels get stolen

3) Someone who is likely to fit sporty wheels to their car by themselves is going to be someone who drives fast.

That is how insurance companies think about it... and increased risk mean increased premiums.

However whether the risk is material in their actuarial calculation depends 100% on the actuarial calculation on which the policy is built. Some will care, some won't.

Good idea to find out from your own insurer before you invalidate your insurance though, that is seriously bad trouble.

Once you make ANY modification to your car though you start narrowing your choice of potential insurers though and thats worth thinking about.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 17 April 2021, 06:38 »

There’s no standard approach by all insurers to modifications - each will have its own approach to what they consider does or doesn’t constitute an increase in the insurance risk.

Yeah. Didn’t mean this was a standard approach. Just meant that from their insurance point of view they didn’t need to worry. That’s what surprised me.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 17 April 2021, 07:06 »

Yeah. Didn’t mean this was a standard approach. Just meant that from their insurance point of view they didn’t need to worry. That’s what surprised me.

I’ve had experience of inconsistencies of approach by different underwriters within the same insurance company when declaring a change of wheels.

I was with the same insurer when I changed my wheels on two of the cars I’ve owned (on each occasion, the wheels were the same as the car’s original factory spec wheels - same width, diameter, centre bore size and offset). On the first occasion, I was asked the value of the wheels, and to confirm I had locking wheel bolts fitted and there was no change in premium. On the second occasion, I was also asked the value but wasn’t asked about locking wheel bolts and I was charged an extra £15 - £20 premium per year (can’t remember the exact amount).

It seemed to me that it was down to the discretion of the individual underwriter as to whether the premium would increase or not, rather than a standard approach being applied.

Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #36 on: 17 April 2021, 09:23 »
It's more variable than you think. All sorts of factors come into play.

Remember an insurance scheme is actually an investment scheme. Investors are effectively betting on the policy owners. As such the premiums are steered to deliver the financial results for the investors.

Seems strange when you think about it like that, but that's how they work.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Vw80

• Not said much yet
« Reply #37 on: 27 April 2021, 21:26 »
Is this start of dreaded white worm?

Gti PP 2016 tornado red Dsg

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 27 April 2021, 22:26 »
Is this start of dreaded white worm?

Unfortunately, yes it is.

There’s a picture of a more advanced stage of white worm corrosion on a diamond cut alloy in reply #5 of the discussion thread at the link below;

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=86968.0
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #39 on: 28 April 2021, 19:11 »
Two of mine are being refurbished next week. It’s a ‘17 plate car so about right I guess. Sadly I couldn’t quite make man-maths work in such a way that new alloys were a better choice.