Author Topic: Software issues  (Read 18486 times)

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
Re: Software issues
« Reply #70 on: 19 February 2021, 10:37 »
Got mine booked in for the 8th of March,

Keyless entry not working
Travel assist unavailable warnings
Emergency assist unavailable warnings
No map display on the aid

Told the dealer I want a courtesy car.......and that I won’t give it back till they fix mine...there faces were a picture.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #71 on: 19 February 2021, 11:01 »
No map display on the aid

Hmmm as I might have said earlier, to get that you need software version 1788.

I've only seen one person get that from VW in the UK so far - on a newer car.

Something I saw on another forum:

They are being pretty open with me, the lady said she has had at leat 100 vehicles with these issues. I did ask if they have managed to resolve and she said they have to do it in stages which is what VW insist but the final ECU change does tend resolve the issue she said. I guess this is when the version number changes. Mine was still on 1666 after the first software update. They lent me a new Skoda Octavia and guess what, Click Pop on the drive home. Guess all the new cars have issues.

Its this way VW are insisting the problems are dealt with that's the problem, not that there is a problem.

I've heard of many people rejecting cars because of these faults, I've even seen people reject, get another, reject that and be on a third one before they give up.

Its not that it seems these are your usual factory "lemons", its problems common to them all....

What I find quite frustrating as a problem solver is that there clearly is a specific cause of each issue people are seeing and a specific resolution. Maybe some of the causes/triggers are related to particular options or particular user operation.... but we aren't seeing the details.

I promise I'll fully document any I find for you all though.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #72 on: 19 February 2021, 11:17 »
BTW I might add I am certain VW have technical bulletins on all of these issues, with a symtoms, causes and action to remediate....

Would be nice if someone with access could dump some of these out, because if you could go to the dealers saying "bulletin #xyz is what you need to look at".... it would be fixed much quicker!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #73 on: 19 February 2021, 14:19 »
Makes you wonder why they just don't do an OTA update. After all that's one of new things that they were going on about pre launch, always online.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #74 on: 19 February 2021, 14:31 »
Makes you wonder why they just don't do an OTA update. After all that's one of new things that they were going on about pre launch, always online.

I think there are some issues around certain systems being updated away from a workshop.... maybe security or safety ones.

What if the update goes wrong? What if someone works out how to fake an update?

Did you see that piece I wrote about the SFD system on here? Maybe its just physically not possible to do updates without SFD authentication?

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287257.0
« Last Edit: 19 February 2021, 14:36 by fredgroves »

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #75 on: 19 February 2021, 14:40 »
If it's a factory OTA update then surely SFD doesn't matter. If it's just head unit software then it's no different in reality to updating maps. If Tesla can do it then no reason why other manufacturers can't. VW might roll it out in the future 🤷‍♂️
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #76 on: 19 February 2021, 14:50 »
You'd have to leave your OTA mechanism as having a backdoor behind SFD then...

I know Tesla have been doing OTA but I wonder if they are allowed to continue it after the EU directive on autonomous vehicle function safety and security?

The updates VW are currently struggling with aren't MIB updates, they are all sorts of vehicle components...

Offline Tricky tree

• Not said much yet
  • Golf Gti DSG, dolphin grey.
« Reply #77 on: 20 February 2021, 16:49 »
My new steering wheel was fitted 2 weeks ago. The car was at the dealers for 4 days in total waiting for the parts to be delivered. Apart from one error message which disappeared as soon as it appeared, no further problems. It does seem that a new wheel is the way to go to cure the erroneous error messages. Interestingly, the dealership rang me last week asking me to bring the car in. It turns out that while it was in last time, the dealership should have applied a further software update. The dealers had clearly overlooked this, VW picking it up when the dealership submitted their invoice for the new steering wheel and were told they'd only done half a job. The dealership is collecting the car on Tuesday and will top it up with fuel. My software is 1664, so I'm guessing the update will be to 1688.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #78 on: 20 February 2021, 17:53 »
Interesting.

Everyone else seems to be reporting the same - the steering wheel fixes most problems.

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #79 on: 28 February 2021, 12:48 »
Think ive fixed the keyless entry myself.

Found out the key has to be synchronised .pretty sure nobody had done it.

Basically you stand beside your car,press open twice quickly on the key.

Job done.

Keyless now works perfectly.....for now.