Author Topic: Software issues  (Read 18245 times)

Offline Tricky tree

• Not said much yet
  • Golf Gti DSG, dolphin grey.
Software issues
« on: 12 January 2021, 15:39 »
I’ve had my Gti since November. I’ve posted in the new members section with details. I’ve swapped from a 7.5 PP.
From the start the keyless entry was hit and miss, working on average 60% of the time I approached the car with the key in my pocket. I don’t know if it’s supposed to lock when you walk away from the vehicle, but mine never has.
On average, every other journey brings an error message. Usually to say the road sign recognition is temporarily unavailable or that front assist isn’t working. The messages are accompanied by an icon on the dash. These remain for 5 minutes max. Once, the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark appeared. I was on my way home, so parked on the drive, got the handbook, turned off the engine and went inside. Having established what the symbol could be notifying me about I returned to the car, started the engine and the symbol had disappeared.
I have connected my iPod and for a couple of weeks this worked fine. Now it plays the track I was listening to last time, then freezes and won’t move on to the next track. Steering wheel buttons and those on the media screen have no effect. I have to bring up the track listing on the touchscreen, find the track and select the next one. After that it performs normally.
All these are irritating, but yesterday I drove for about 20 minutes, all normal, but when I got back to the car the touchscreen was dead and I had 5 error messages on the dash. Neither front or rear sensors are working. The ever annoying lane assist never fails to work, but without the touchscreen I can’t turn it off.
I’ve phoned the dealers and it’s booked in for Thursday. Don’t know if anyone else is suffering, but other forums seem to agree that the software problems that dogged the Mk8, delaying its launch, are far from solved.
I’ll post again when I get the car back.

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
Re: Software issues
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2021, 15:49 »
I’ve had 2 software updates since october(done by me),and had no real issues as such.

That said my keyless entry isn’t great and is booked in for the 29th to try and remedy it.

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 13 January 2021, 19:41 »
Mines in this Friday for the software update to fix the keyless entry issue. I’ll let you know how it goes

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2021, 19:44 »
I'm slightly surprised that software issues are not being addressed over the air..

Unless of course when they say software it's actually one of the control modules which are not programmable via the main software control system.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline M6TT F

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2021, 20:21 »
I read somewhere that only minor software issues are addressed over the air, and the larger and more significant updates have to be done by the dealer

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2021, 20:26 »
Maybe it's just infotainment updates that are ota... Disappointing
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Tricky tree

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2021, 18:41 »
Car back from the dealers. It’s had a software upgrade coded 1688. All seems to be working, although when I started the car this morning, infotainment had decided to work and I had no pinged messages that various assist systems were unavailable. It’s interesting to Google “Golf Mk8 problems “ and read the software threads on other forums. There’s a post saying that the barrage of pinged messages is a hardware problem and the solution is a new steering wheel and wiring loom! I’ll see if the software update has solved matters over the next few days.

Offline clubsport

• I live here

Offline Tricky tree

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2021, 12:08 »
Update on the software update. I’ve had the car back since Thursday and while the touchscreen is now working ok, the assist systems are still all over the place. Started on Friday with the error message that front assist was not available and the yellow warning triangle with the exclamation mark appeared on the dash. Interestingly the yellow warning light indicating that the system was really disabled didn’t appear and the triangle disappeared after a few minutes. Then the dash flashed up the big red symbol indicating that front assist was active and deployed. It’s a rather unsettling symbol of a foot stamping on a brake pedal. Fortunately, the brakes weren’t applied as the taxi following me would surely have rammed me. Went out again yesterday, no front assist and warning light displayed and parking sensors front and rear “restricted “ which in VW speak means not working.

It’s going to have to be another trip to the dealership. I’m feeling like a VW development driver, testing out the over complex tech set up. The car’s drivable and apart from the worry that it may decide to stop suddenly, these faults are just niggles. They do seem to be common across the Mk8 range from Life to Gti and presumably will be carried forward to the Clubsport and R unless VW admit there’s a problem and most importantly devise a fix that works.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2021, 12:35 »
Forgot to say earlier but I’ve sen so many drivers running red lights during lockdown. Crazy. Presume all the idiots think rules don’t matter at the mo.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.