Author Topic: MK4 Headlights.  (Read 7212 times)

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
  • If it aint broke...I can fix it!
Re: MK4 Headlights.
« Reply #10 on: 22 December 2017, 21:11 »
Thanks for the input mate... if the ones I mentioned earlier don't cure the problem, I'll give yours a go.

Have a great Xmas.      :smiley:
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline CitizenKane

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2018, 16:28 »
Get factory xenon headlights (with auto level control and headlight washers) and you'll see significant improvement.

How much would you be looking at for a set of factory xenons?

Did they offer xenons as an option on GTi's or just the R32?

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2018, 20:39 »
Sorry to get back to my problem and not being able to help anyone else, but I checked in with my auto electrician today and my new Osram globes will be here in the next couple of days. It will be very interesting to see if they make a difference. I actually needed to drive in the dark this evening (first time in a couple of months) and it reminded me of how crappy my headlights really are...!!
« Last Edit: 01 February 2018, 20:47 by bgbazz »
Mk4 Golf TDI Estate 4Motion, remapped 1.9. Sweet runner = keeper. She is the 66th vehicle I've owned and hopefully, the last.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2018, 20:42 »
Sorry to get back to my problem and not being able to help anyone else, but I checked in with my auto electrician today and my new Osram globes will be here in the next couple of days. It will be very interesting to see if they make a difference.
Osram night breakers made a huge difference to my Audi TT  :smiley:

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2018, 20:46 »
Get factory xenon headlights (with auto level control and headlight washers) and you'll see significant improvement.

How much would you be looking at for a set of factory xenons?

Did they offer xenons as an option on GTi's or just the R32?
The offered them as an option on the mk4 I've had gti and 4 motions fitted with them and checking the spec list they had been fitted from new anything from 250-400 for a second hand set  :smiley:

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 01 February 2018, 21:24 »
I think that you would really have to be in love with your Mk4 to pay that sort of money for a set of second hand lights. Some time back, I was told by a learned member of this forum that a Mk4 was worth about the same as a night out! He is either a great guy to go out with, or.............?

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 01 February 2018, 22:28 »
I think that you would really have to be in love with your Mk4 to pay that sort of money for a set of second hand lights. Some time back, I was told by a learned member of this forum that a Mk4 was worth about the same as a night out! He is either a great guy to go out with, or.............?

Well I just picked another one up for 300 with re-trimmed recaro leather r32 wheels really clean bodywork less than average miles  :smiley:

Offline bgbazz

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 02 February 2018, 06:46 »
300 pounds? That equates to almost two weeks income for me....and more than the average person earns in a month over this way. If it was a LHD, you could probably sell it for around 2 grand here.

Makes it a bit silly to spend more than the car is worth...for a pair of second hand lights.

Offline CitizenKane

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 02 February 2018, 08:29 »
I tried to sell my GTi recently and I couldn't get rid of it. I initially put it up for around €1,000. After having zero interest for a couple of months I started to reduce the asking price incrementally until eventually after around 18 months I had it advertised for €350. Still no takers, so I eventually gave up and took the ads down. Also nobody would take it as a trade in for a new car.

In retrospect I'm glad, because I am now coming back to the GTi and I'm really excited about it, but it is interesting. The car is a 2002 AUM and doesn't have insanely high mileage or anything (around 130,000), but I still found it impossible to sell.

I wonder whether Mk4's will ever start to go the way of Mk1's and Mk2's in terms of value, or is the Mk4 just too common for that?

EDIT: sorry for derailing the thread, but it's an interesting point. I too think spending 300-500 on headlights for a Mk4 might be hard to justify... but that's not to say I wouldn't do it! That's the thing about being an enthusiast I guess - it's more about the joy that modding a car brings you rather than the value. Sure most decent aftermarket wheels (or even a decent set of tyres) will cost more than most Mk4's are worth (unless you start talking about R models of course).
« Last Edit: 02 February 2018, 08:35 by CitizenKane »