Author Topic: Tanks_mk2 - mk2 daily drive  (Read 5667 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Tanks_mk2 - mk2 daily drive
« on: 12 May 2006, 12:57 »
here you go :)
« Last Edit: 25 May 2006, 20:16 by jv »
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline TanK_VW

• Here all the time
Re: Tanks_mk2 - 1.6 Driver
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2006, 13:17 »
Thanks JV

First thing I say is I have to applogies for any spelling mistakes or sentances which do not make sence, but engish was never my best subject.

Bit of Background.

I have been a fan of the golf for many years (my friends and family would say i am more obsessed) Even though I have only got my car licence at the beginning of 2006 the list of cars i have owned is strangely high.

My first car was a Series 2A Landrover, also at the same time I had a Series 3 Landrover. After awhile of not bothering to get my licence I had to sell them when i left for uni. Next came a Mk1 1.0ltr for £200, which became my mothers car when her broke (then it was sold on to a mate who was going to do it up but so far done nothing, so i may get it back) The next car (bearing in mind i didn’t have a licence) was a MK1 1.8GTi :smile: which got it cos it was a deal! but again i didn’t get to drive it much as no licence, so my brother used it until he got his VR6. Sadly the MK1 had to get sold when my landlord said it had to go or he would have it toed away, what a total .... (fill your own word here) but happily it went to a guy who refurbish car, who i bumped it the other week and found out he had fixed it up and sold it on (I want it back :cry:)

Currently I own a Golf MK2 Driver 1.6, I bought her in December 2006.  I saw this Golf on ebay and it was not very far from me, but it only had 2hrs until the auction finished.  As I had no money i had to call around to get some, my mate, god bless him, said he would give me the money i needed.  I won the auction with 2 seconds to spare with a bid of £300.01

The reason I went for a driver was I thought the insurance would be too high for a GTI for a recently passed driver, but as i am now 25 there is not much difference, GUTTED!

The Driver was in ok condition, some small bugs which I plan to get fixed, and this just takes time and money as I am sure you all know.  I put the Golf though an MOT and it failed due to it idling too high and one rear brake hose was not in good shape.  So they were fixed and she was on the road.

Here is what she looked like when i got hold of her.

« Last Edit: 23 May 2006, 09:38 by Tanks_Mk2 »

Offline TanK_VW

• Here all the time
Re: Tanks_mk2 - Tanks Day Dreams
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2006, 13:40 »
Golf plans

As for the styling the plan is nice and simple.  Less is more.  I am not going to go for big bumpers and G60 arches. But going to go for small bumpers with chrome inserts (when i find some), no arch trim, maybe no side trim.

So the list is

Front
Small bumpers with chrome inserts
Chrome grill badge
Crystal clear head lights and inner lights

Side
No arch trim
Maybe no side trim

Rear
Half smoked rear cluster
Chrome golf badge and 1.6 badges
No exhaust showing (like on mk4)

Other things to do.
Lower, as low as i can go but i use country road so will have to see how low.
Repair sunroof which has been dented in, damaged runners.
Repair rust on rear driverÂ’s side window.
Repair rust on driver's side door sill.
Some German number plates.
and respray.

The list is not long, but money is tight, so this may take a little longer to do than i would like.

Offline TanK_VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2006, 16:20 »
The reason for the title of this project is down to the fact that i seem to be constantly day dreaming about the Golf, some times its a bit worrying how much I think about it.  The day dream changes all the time, so I am not sure what I will end up with.  But I am sure it will be good.

In my ideal dream I will have a mint shinny Golf which was all done by my own hands.  In reality this is just not going to happen, mainly cos I am not confident in my skills and I won’t do the car justice.  It’s going to be hard to pay other people to do things for me, lots of saving, so this project may take some time to complete.

Normally I am not a hard worker, but I have found that with the idea of my golf in my head I can work hard.  This weekend I went to work at my second job on a sawmill and worked Saturday from 8am to 3pm, then a quick brake for an eBay auction which was ending, then back to work from 4pm to 6pm, and  on Sunday 6am to 3pm.  After which I was shattered, but £200 the richer, which is not bad for a weekends work.  If I had my way I would do that each weekend until my golf is complete, but the girlfriend would not be happy with that.  So I guess itÂ’s going to be one thing at a time and do as much as I can myself.

The first thing I started with was only small jobs.  I changed the indictors for clear ones, changed the grill badge for a black one, now I want a chrome one, replaced the rear standard cluster for the half smoked cluster, lay flat the rear wiper and put the GolfGTI stickers in the window.  An instant improvement.

« Last Edit: 23 May 2006, 09:48 by Tanks_Mk2 »

Offline TanK_VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2006, 11:39 »
After a failed attempt of lowering (the cheap way, so in the long run costing me more :cry: ...)

I decided to do it properly. I worked the weekend, and bought some lowering springs from Venom.  They arrived the next day, so well happy with there speed, can’t wait to have the money to buy a few more things from them.

Popped into the garage yesterday to find out when they can lower it, they have said next weekend. I want to do the work myself, as i know it’s not hard to change, but don’t have the time or the tools.  So looks like I will have to pay someone else do undo some bolts swap a few things and do some bolts up.

Another recent purchase is some steel wheels for £30, there not the G60 15" but the GTi 14", and as soon as i see my mate i will put them on.  Hopefully this will tidy the car up and look a lot better than the standard steels which i currently have on.

Offline TanK_VW

• Here all the time
Re: Tanks_mk2 - mk2 daily drive
« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2006, 13:44 »
Not much has happened recently.  still got the springs in my boot to put on and still need to get the new tyres from london.

the lense of my headlight feel out the other day when driving off... no idea why! but very annoying.

If anyone has one laying around and wants to give it a new home send me a pm.

Offline TanK_VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2006, 13:47 »
had a play on dubmodder, just so i know what i am aiming for  heres what i want.

Offline TanK_VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2006, 16:07 »
German number plates are on order  :grin: thanks to http://www.theplateman.com/

pics to come hopefully next week

Offline TanK_VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 02 June 2006, 10:12 »
Well after a week of waiting the plates have arrived  :grin:

Just need to get the old ones off

Offline TanK_VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2006, 11:10 »
Right quick update.

Last weekend i attempted to fit the springs i had bought, so popped out and bought some spring compressors

Jacked the car up and started undoing the usual bolt.. then i get to the top bolt and...... no could not find the 21mm offset ring spanner, and no one i know had one. so that put the end to that.

That evening I deciding that i wanted to up-rate the shocks as well as lowing the car I ended up re-buying the Venom lowing kit as it was cheaper to buy the kit and send back the other springs i bought than buying the shocks.  Now i have to send back the other springs I bought and get my money back.

The kit arrived today, so the plan to night is give my mate a call who has got hold of the required spanner and get the kit on ready for sundays Stoner Park.

Fingers crossed.