Author Topic: Drilled air box  (Read 11063 times)

lee

Drilled air box
« on: 21 April 2003, 21:03 »
Hello

Has anyone got any tips on drilling my air box mk2 16v. Also any ideas on tyre pressures for 195-50-15s :-/
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
Re: Drilled air box
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2003, 22:40 »
Lee,
Where are you? I have a Mk2 drilled air box you can have if you want. I'm in Yateley, Hants.
By the way did you look at the thread you started concerning fuel octane in a 16V? I was wrong about puting unleaded (95 octane) without any adjustment.
Stick with Optimax (99 octane) or super unleaded (97 octane). If you want to use 95 octane, you will need to retard the ignition timing.

lee

« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2003, 23:06 »
Hi Rich

I am clear on the fuel issue now, thanks. I am using and will continue to use Optimax. I looked at the page you set up, cheers.

Cheers for the offer, but I'm probably a bit far (Wimbledon) and I'm kinda deciding whether or not I actually want a drilled air box.  I was wondering whether or not someone would advise me against it, or any tips etc. Will keep you posted! :)

Also Rich,
I can't work out how to get the power steering belt off, so that I can change the fan belt. Do you know? Lee

Offline concept

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2003, 19:57 »
hey lee,   i have basically cut the whole front off my original air box ! i did drill holes in it but one huge hole at the front has better effect. it gets more air in, mostly the fresh cold air from the front, not heat from the engine. i still use the standard panel filter
mk3 8v 140bhp

mo3000

« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2003, 21:39 »
when will you kids learn?

Its a waste of time drilling the filter box as the standard air intake is the same size as the outlet  to the engine.

So you cant get any more air in unless you increase the size of the thottle butterflys, (Throttle bodies).

All drilling the airbox does is give a nicer sound.

You will only get an inprovement by rerouting the standard air intake hose by the way of an extension hose to a more frontal position (i.e behind the small grill under the bumper line).

This gets nice cool, dense air, directly to the engine without wrecking the filter box and not giving out any more noise than the standard set up.

The only reason the standard air in take is where it is, is because it picks up less dust, sand etc... behind the headlight or from the inner-wing (this depends on year).

If you modify it like above there is a small chance of sucking up more sh!te (Leaves, dust, small Mammals........etc) so shortening the life of your filters.

What are you? ex-Nova drivers?
Jesus!
;) ;D

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2003, 22:35 »
when will you kids learn?

Its a waste of time drilling the filter box as the standard air intake is the same size as the outlet ?to the engine.

So you cant get any more air in unless you increase the size of the thottle butterflys, (Throttle bodies).

All drilling the airbox does is give a nicer sound.

You will only get an inprovement by rerouting the standard air intake hose by the way of an extension hose to a more frontal position (i.e behind the small grill under the bumper line).

?This gets nice cool, dense air, directly to the engine without wrecking the filter box and not giving out any more noise than the standard set up.

The only reason the standard air in take is where it is, is because it picks up less dust, sand etc... behind the headlight or from the inner-wing (this depends on year).

If you modify it like above there is a small chance of sucking up more sh!te (Leaves, dust, small Mammals........etc) so shortening the life of your filters.

What are you? ex-Nova drivers?
Jesus!
;) ;D

I agree and its not something I would do for the very reasons you mention. Unfortunately the airbox on my donor Mk2 had already had it done.
Lee, rather than drill your perfectly good airbox, try mine and at least then you can go back to OE later. I work up at Heathrow so I'm not that far away.

lee

« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2003, 01:12 »
Thanks for the info 'mo3000', I knew already that drilling the airbox has no performance benefit, it's just that I can't find an induction kit for my 16v. All I want is the sound, I'm not interested in increased performance.

Being that you know em inside out-maybe you could tell me if there is an induction kit for the 16v. Being new to Golfs myself, there is lots I have learnt from the helpful guys on this website, and there is still lots I need to learn. :)

Off now to wash my fleet of Nova's, and to hang out with my 17 year old buddies.  ;) ;D :-X

Offline concept

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2003, 15:35 »
to 'mo3000',

it sounds to me like you dont have a clue what you're doing advising people on how to get more power !

so you're saying the only way to get more air in is by bigger throttle body ? - what a load of **** !

i'm telling you right now that modifying an original air box will make more power and i have the dyno print-outs to prove it !

and what does this bulls**t statement mean - "standard air intake is the same size as the outlet to the engine"

you need to do some homework you silly little kid. ha ha :D

lee - this guy has no idea what he's talking about.
mk3 8v 140bhp

lee

« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2003, 17:19 »
:)Cheers concept

It sounds like you know what you are talking about.

Offline concept

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 25 April 2003, 18:20 »
hey lee,

i used to run my car with a k&n induction kit but now the modified original air box is producing better power. (and a nice sound)

the panel filter is not normally dirty ( i check it regularly) but if it gets dirty then i'll just take it out and clean it. or even replace it - they're not too expensive.

its entirely up to yourself what route you go, but there's my opinion.

to that numb nut 'mo3000' who thinks he knows what he is talking about - hello, am i wrong?  ???
mk3 8v 140bhp