Author Topic: coil pack/spark plug removal on golf mk4 1.6 16 v?  (Read 15654 times)

Offline sps

• Not said much yet
coil pack/spark plug removal on golf mk4 1.6 16 v?
« on: 10 August 2013, 14:43 »
the car is a 2002 vw golk mk4 1.6 16 valve with the AZD engine code.
how does one remove the coil packs to get access to and remove the spark plugs?
i have yanked off the top engine cover but cannot figure out how to reomove the coil packs.
anyone able to help.
is there a special tool required to pull out the coil packs or will a pair of pliers work?

Offline mike1990

• GTI forum regular
Re: coil pack/spark plug removal on golf mk4 1.6 16 v?
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2013, 15:42 »
Unplug the coil packs wiring harness, using a flat head screw driver to unclip the harness. Then using the screw driver, place it under the coil pack then push it upwards carefully to remove the coil pack.

Offline sps

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2013, 17:40 »
thanks.

you say " Unplug the coil packs wiring harness, using a flat head screw driver to unclip the harness.".

i can see 4 separate electrical connectors -one to each coil pack-so is this what you mean in the sentence above?

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2013, 18:22 »
thanks.

you say " Unplug the coil packs wiring harness, using a flat head screw driver to unclip the harness.".

i can see 4 separate electrical connectors -one to each coil pack-so is this what you mean in the sentence above?

Yes, it really isn't difficult. Each coil pack has it's own plug which you need to carefully unplug, then its a case of gently levering the coil pack out like so:

Offline sps

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2013, 18:24 »

hi and thanks,

my engine does not look like the one in the picture as it is a 1.6 16 valve azd engine.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2013, 18:27 »

hi and thanks,

my engine does not look like the one in the picture as it is a 1.6 16 valve azd engine.

Yes, I'm aware of that but the principal remains the same. Unplug the wiring harness and level the coil pack out.

Offline sps

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 10 August 2013, 18:38 »
hi and thanks.

i will try and post a picture of my engine as i cannot see how i can lever the coil pack off.

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2013, 18:51 »
I'm assuming it looks like this:

In which case get a flat blade screw driver and gently lever the front and back of the coil from this direction. Use the edge of the rocker cover as leverage.

If you still can't manage it then I give up!

Offline sps

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2013, 19:26 »
amazing stuff!.very many thanks for posting the pictures :smiley: :cool:-that is exactly how my car's engine looks like!

i will try and lever the coil packs as you describe now that i can see how it is done.The engine although it is a golf has many italian parts including a magnetti marelli ecu.I always believed in bosch ones.

i am sure i will manage and once again thanks for your help.

i did once own audi coupe 5 cylinder  2.0 litre 5 speed gti 1986 model-amazing car and getting the spark plugs out on that model was very easy then!
« Last Edit: 10 August 2013, 19:45 by sps »

Offline sps

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 11 August 2013, 18:26 »
I had another look to try and remove coil packs.There was no way one could put a flat blade screw driver under the coil pack ,the plastic surround in which the coil pack sits does not allow for this.It also appears to get the coil pack electrical connector off ,you first have to pull the coil out..I did try to put a zip tie around the electrical connector ang pull upwards and this did not work either. :cry:So it makes me think there must be special tool to extract the coil pack.
anyone know which tool or do i go a vw dealer?
« Last Edit: 11 August 2013, 20:00 by sps »