Author Topic: Discs and pads  (Read 2356 times)

Offline bushido

• Just got here
Discs and pads
« on: 14 March 2019, 11:13 »
Hi all

I'm aware there seems to be issues with the brake discs normally back becoming heavily scored and starting to peel.
My cars on 29k miles and I will be replacing the back ones again soon this will be set 3. I don't drive that hard as I've normally got the kids in the car.

Anyone has anyone changed from the OE discs/pads.
I'm Scunmered having to change these around every 10000 miles. It appears to be a common issue.

What else is out there that will last longer?

Stu

Offline Mutley75

• Here all the time
Re: Discs and pads
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2019, 11:57 »
I had an issue with rear brakes on my Audi caused by the electronic parking brake - when applied in the garage after washing, particularly in winter it would freeze on. Then when reversing out it would clonk off as the wheel moved. This ruined a set of pads which they replaced under warranty. Could it be something similar?
Golf GTi Performance Edition (2019), 5dr, DSG in Isaac Blue, Dynaudio & Brescia alloys.

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2019, 13:40 »
 Coming up to 5 yrs old, with 40k on the clock - still on the original pads and discs, I’m amazed to hear you’ll be on your 3rd set

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2019, 17:33 »
I'm on the original set too at 30k miles. Someone on here some time back said the failure was due to the rear calipers not having been greased in all the right places so the pads would partially seize. Now I can't say that is true but my rear ns caliper was giving a light rubbing sound and had a bit of a score mark on it not present on the os which was quiet. I haven't noticed the noise for a while so haven't investigated further but if I were you I would get replacements done at a reliable independent who will do the job properly and see how you get on. A colleague at work had a crappy Peugeot which at 30k miles was having it's second set of replacement discs and pads, the dealer just said the parts were crap quality! Mind you, he was a bit odd and aggresive at times so I wouldn't have been surprised if his driving style matched...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 14 March 2019, 23:28 »
I’m on original discs and pads all round at 73,000km  :grin: I’m also amazed. Something not right there
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 15 March 2019, 06:25 »
Have the dealers told you they need replacing? The slightest spec of rust or the start of a lip and they like to advise of replacement so that they can charge an arm and a leg for them. We've all had the phone call. "We've noticed that your brakes are showing signs of wear..." of course they are, they've been used..."shall we replace them whilst we have the car? There is no guarantee they'll last until the next service."
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 15 March 2019, 09:01 »
Still on the original set at 75000 miles on my mk6 and still no significant lip on the discs or corrosion. :smiley:
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 15 March 2019, 11:02 »
Just changed my rear pads at 70K miles, discs are pitted and scored but they will last at least another 70k miles as they do no work. It is only cosmetic so no point replacing for the same thing to happen within a couple of thousand miles.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 15 March 2019, 11:21 »
Hi all

I'm aware there seems to be issues with the brake discs normally back becoming heavily scored and starting to peel.
My cars on 29k miles and I will be replacing the back ones again soon this will be set 3. I don't drive that hard as I've normally got the kids in the car.

Anyone has anyone changed from the OE discs/pads.
I'm Scunmered having to change these around every 10000 miles. It appears to be a common issue.

What else is out there that will last longer?

Stu

I bet your dealer sends you a nice card and present at Christmas!  :grin:

NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline dfsGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 20 March 2019, 21:30 »
Yes OP I've had the rear discs and pads changed on my GTD, can't remember the mileage but it was about 20k. They were very heavily scored. This was by an independent who I trust and not my local dealer. My front discs and pads have just been changed with almost 60k and my after market rears are still in good condition. IMHO the OEM rear discs were poor quality as the aftermarket ones have lasted a lot longer. If I remember correctly there was a thread on here a while ago about rear discs not lasting.