Author Topic: Fred's surprise Munich Trip... guess what...  (Read 13276 times)

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Re: Fred's surprise Munich Trip... guess what...
« Reply #40 on: 23 January 2021, 21:27 »
The entry bar for setting up a YouTube channel is pretty low. That said, it’s great to have these outlets for reviews these days even if you have to sift through loads of rubbish to find decent content. Years ago you had to wait for the next season of Top Gear or sneak a read of the car mags in the news agent.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #41 on: 23 January 2021, 21:42 »
Bmw could release a banana on roller skates and Joe would love it. There’s no objectivity in his reviews.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #42 on: 23 January 2021, 22:04 »
Bmw could release a banana on roller skates and Joe would love it. There’s no objectivity in his reviews.

:grin:
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #43 on: 23 January 2021, 23:44 »
Lots of  :grin: :grin: at some of those observations guys.

I never really got into YouTube because: I’m old, I detest narcissistic self promoters and I generally had much better things to do.
However this year, despite being busy as hell 90% of the time, I managed to start watching a few of these ‘channels’ occasionally so that I could avoid going out mingling with the irrepressibly stupid and the arrogantly self entitled that swarmed my area “because it’s safe down here so we don’t have to follow rules like we do at home” and yeah, I still managed to get the zombie apocalypse virus thanks to their efforts.  :rolleyes:

Anyway, one of the first I got to see was Joe Achilles having a short term loan of a just released M135i x-Drive direct from BMW UK so he could influence away.
Fake enthusiasm overload. The car wasn’t a hugely overpowered RWD saloon and so in all honesty he probably thought it was dull. Alas he’s trying to make a living out of it and seems like a very nice chap so I watched a few more of his vids. Then I stopped because I’m not a BMW overpowered RWD saloon fanboy being paid by BMW/Audi.
About the same time I discovered a man called Ped. Now he seems like a nice chap too but f**k me...  😴😴😴
Having decided YouTube was not for me I then happened upon a ‘channel’ that looked like it would be in all German but decided I’d go with it anyway and that’s where I got a little bit of hope up. That just happened to be Thomas of Autogefuel (sp?)
A far more professional magazine style review at last.

A mixed bunch. At least YouTube isn’t exclusively for finding out how to fix your bog seat hinges I now know.

Oh, and Mat Watson can be amusing in a throwaway sort of way.

Thus I became an occasional viewer rather than a total avoider. 
I’ll probably stop again when every other video is exclaiming “look, it has drift mode yo!” when the VW Press fleet Lapiz R’s become the internet’s next A45S.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #44 on: 23 January 2021, 23:51 »
I like a bit of YouTube. Not much you can't find a how to video on and that is basically a gateway drug.. I've watched people crushing things with a hydraulic press , learnt about spear fighting and know far too much now about taxidermy.

All more interesting than Joe Achilles. I recommend the other stuff.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #45 on: 23 January 2021, 23:57 »
God help me, I now feel obliged to find out about spear fighting.
I can’t forgive you for that one I’m afraid.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #46 on: 24 January 2021, 11:16 »
I’ve just watched Joe driving the 128ti.
I found it quite entertaining which isn’t bad going as I have a short span of attention and am easily bored.
The road surface looked pretty bad so his comments about acceptable ride quality seemed at odds with yours Fred, and seats are a very personal thing.
The 128 does look a cracking car and I like how they’ve differentiated it from the 135, a shame they didn’t carry the tombstone seats over though.
Personally I’d still prefer the 135 over the 128 for quite a few reasons but the 128 does look a very appealing package and it’s good to see the bracing bars are carried over from the 4wd car which help to make the 1 series so solid feeling.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #47 on: 24 January 2021, 11:38 »
"acceptable" ride means different things to different people. I find it unacceptable to be shaken around... Like in a mini...

I understand what the hardness gives you.. On a track...just as I understand what a roll cage or five point harnesses do...for a racing car.

My car is very much non performance, it doesn't need to be on the road and i don't need the discomfort.

Probably Joe is comparing it to some M car. Probably feels soft compared to that. Another car that's also not for me.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #48 on: 24 January 2021, 11:57 »
I agree, Fred- particularly your first point.
I would add that what is acceptable for an hour or two on a test drive may be quite different to what is acceptable day in day out several hours a day.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #49 on: 24 January 2021, 12:02 »
I agree, Fred- particularly your first point.
I would add that what is acceptable for an hour or two on a test drive may be quite different to what is acceptable day in day out several hours a day.

Yeah. Loved the I30N on on a test drive but couldn’t live with it. Ride quality is so subjective. Joe likes his M cars so he’s probably comparing it to those. Each to their own. A fella at my cousins work has an M2 and my cousin a 140i. The fella with the M2 said he would take the 140 as a daily every time.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.