Author Topic: Why are BBS so expensive?  (Read 6468 times)

kniterider

Re:Why are BBS so expensive?
« Reply #10 on: 13 April 2004, 11:41 »
price=quality!!, and the name as well i spose (just been droolin over some 18"super turismo alloys OZ)but after what wifeys done to my 17"s there no way im splashin on any more! ;D

Gaz 8)

Offline Greeny

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 13 April 2004, 20:23 »
Indeed, BBS are tad pricey, but v. nice rims they are too. However, have just seen and purchased a set of Rondell Type 58's. They came in @ <?500 rims only, whack on a set of Goodyear F1's and it still comes in at under a grand. Saying that, the Rondell's could be crap for all I know. Look sweet 'though. If you're gonna take the bite on a set of  BBS's, the LM's are particularly joyous.

Offline Fraiser

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 25 April 2004, 12:14 »
Because they are the DADDYS. ;)

Speedydub

« Reply #13 on: 25 April 2004, 15:46 »
My Polo has got standard BBS alloys, they are really nice, but unfortunately, the previous owner wasnt into toothbrush scrubbing them :(

Offline nrgizerbunny

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 06 May 2004, 20:09 »
i know bbs was getting a lot of praise on this thread but my experience has been utter crap.

i have had 3 sets of bbs wheels on my car. its a mk4 anniversary and the first set started rusting within 2 months, the next set lasted a bit longer a year and the current set are just over 3 months old but seem to be okay up to now.

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #15 on: 06 May 2004, 20:25 »
the old ones were better, maybe they went off the boil recently  ???

Offline tobz.

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 07 May 2004, 12:24 »
I think you'll find that the more expensive top end alloys tend to weigh considerably less than cheaper ones aswell. Companies like bbs, azev etc tend to use a much squarer profile on the outer edge of the rim compared to the likes of TSW and wolfrace (some of the heaviest wheels). TSW wheels tend to be very rounded between the spokes etc thus using more metal. I suppose you end up paying for this extra design time in the long run. Keep your unsprung weight down and keep your golf nimble on its toes!!!

Toby

You got any pics of your dad's split ?

Offline sono

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 07 May 2004, 20:36 »
As soon as you get your hands on BBS splitties you realise where your money went. Excellent quality alloy, flawless casting, and totaly delicious finish.

Just got to save up for some tyres now  ::)

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #18 on: 07 May 2004, 21:48 »
I could of gone for a set of BOOS wheels that from a distance look identical to mine, but I went for the Kahns in the end and well pleased I did. I've wanted these wheels for 2 or 3 years and now they're all mine. if I could only drive without hitting the kerb more often.

They're off for a refurb very soon so will be as good as new :)

?58 for 3 wheels. the 4th has the tinyest mark so not really worth it. just need to borrow a set of 15's to run around on.
Mk4 Golf 150PD