Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529416 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #870 on: 03 February 2017, 18:00 »
Why have you lifted the wipers?

Force of habit; but ready for washing the screen, once I'd pressure washed the snow foam off after it had dwelled long enough on the bodywork.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #871 on: 03 February 2017, 22:24 »
Used my new Autobrite snow foam lance / Nilfisk pressure washer combination for the first time today. Autobrite Direct currently have their heavy duty snow foam lance, plus a 1/2 litre of Magifoam snow foam for £34 (their normal price would be £50; £40 for the lance and £10 for the snow foam).

The lance looks to be really well constructed and I was surprised at how little of the snow foam I needed to use; about 1 cm in the bottle attached to the lance, topped up to about 400 ml with warm water. Made lots of thick, clinging foam and I didn't use all of the 400 ml. The foam was still thick and clinging 20 minutes after I applied it to the car - picture below. Sorry, no 'befores' or 'afters', but it was pretty dirty and is now nice and clean!

Very pleased with my purchase and foaming adds a new fun element to car cleaning!  :smiley:

Looks a good snow foam on the car.  I always put my wipers in service position too.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline TweedsideR

• Not said much yet
« Reply #872 on: 04 February 2017, 10:42 »
  I always put my wipers in service position too.

Yeah, me too. Except that I always forget to do it until after I've done the snow foam. The I open the door, sit in with the door open, go through the service position procedure and splatter snow foam all over the inside of the door and the edge of the seat, dash and sills. Oh well...

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #873 on: 04 February 2017, 11:22 »
Looks a good snow foam on the car. I always put my wipers in service position too.

Yeah, me too. Except that I always forget to do it until after I've done the snow foam. The I open the door, sit in with the door open, go through the service position procedure and splatter snow foam all over the inside of the door and the edge of the seat, dash and sills. Oh well...

Yes, I was surprised just how little I needed to make that much foam!

I'll try and remember not to put the wipers into the service position with the drivers door open after I've snow foamed the car. :grin:
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #874 on: 04 February 2017, 15:40 »
Used my new Autobrite snow foam lance / Nilfisk pressure washer combination for the first time today. Autobrite Direct currently have their heavy duty snow foam lance, plus a 1/2 litre of Magifoam snow foam for £34 (their normal price would be £50; £40 for the lance and £10 for the snow foam).

The lance looks to be really well constructed and I was surprised at how little of the snow foam I needed to use; about 1 cm in the bottle attached to the lance, topped up to about 400 ml with warm water. Made lots of thick, clinging foam and I didn't use all of the 400 ml. The foam was still thick and clinging 20 minutes after I applied it to the car - picture below. Sorry, no 'befores' or 'afters', but it was pretty dirty and is now nice and clean!

Very pleased with my purchase and foaming adds a new fun element to car cleaning!  :smiley:

I really like your VW motorsport alloys.
How is the finish on them holding up ?
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #875 on: 04 February 2017, 16:52 »
I really like your VW motorsport alloys.
How is the finish on them holding up ?

Thanks. I'm really I'm pleased with them too. I've had them on the car just over 6 months now and the finish is holding up well - they're still like new; being powder coated they're much more durable than the diamond cut alloys that were on the car, especially this time of year.

My Wheel Woolies fit through the spokes nicely for cleaning the barrels, and I can clean the backs of the spokes with my WoWo wheel mitt. IMO they're a nice simple design, so the fronts are easy to clean too.

Glad I bought them when I did as I don't think VW do them in anthracite any more to fit the Polo; only gloss black or white.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #876 on: 10 February 2017, 13:50 »
Bathtime.

« Last Edit: 10 February 2017, 14:34 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #877 on: 10 February 2017, 16:24 »
Looks like another perfect job! The gloss is amazing :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Mr GTD

• I live here
« Reply #878 on: 10 February 2017, 22:12 »
Excellent Job, Rebecca...must say I do like the Achem's tyre dressing. You've converted me as my megs is now second best. 😎
Collected 1st March 17 - MK7 GTD 5dr DSG Pure White With Optional Extras - Tech Pack - Sports & Sound - Pan Roof - Tints - Leather

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #879 on: 10 February 2017, 22:28 »
Looks like another perfect job! The gloss is amazing :smiley:

Thanks very much watts.  Only had time for a quick wash/dry today but needed it.  It will soon be back to its 'before' state though as driving it 260 miles north tomorrow.  And then.....fun on some proper roads!
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual