Author Topic: Sign of things to come??  (Read 2537 times)

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
Sign of things to come??
« on: 03 July 2019, 15:50 »
Today I drove 45 miles to visit a client and on arrival I parked up, got out and the central locking wouldn't work. Suspected it might be the key fob battery, I found out how to manually lock the doors (it is keyless).

After meeting, returned to car, manually unlocked it, presses the start button and nothing happening (dashboard lit up as normal, but no starting). Tried the touching the location on the steering column with the key, but still nothing. Walked to a car parts shop and got a replacement battery, but still nothing doing.

Phoned VW service department and they suggested trying with the 2nd key. Kindly the wife drove up with spare key, but, again, nothing happening.
Interestingly though, when I tried with the spare key, a dashboard warning said it was time to change the battery in the fob (which it hadn't done with the other key).

As car is 20 months old, the road side assistance had run out and having quickly signed up with Green Flag, I now have to wait until tomorrow for them to come out.

Sadly I didn't have my OBD eleven plug-in that might have shown up some error codes. So will have to wait and see it it's a roadside fix or needs a dealer visit.

Also, a couple of weeks ok, it also did something odd. Had driven into a B&Q car park and whilst turning into a space (on my RHS) an error message flashed up to say the left hand dipped beam and fog light weren't working. On return from my store visit, there was no message and all the lights were working correctly.

So I am now wondering if these incidents are signs of impending unreliability.
Anyone else had anything similar?
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Sign of things to come??
« Reply #1 on: 03 July 2019, 16:44 »
I'm sure if the battery in the fob is completely gone it can impair itself from the car. Not sure how true that is or if it was scaremongering from the dealership. I've got keyless and only recently changed the battery in my main fob after 28 months.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2019, 18:27 »
Car has now been trailer-ed off to a VW dealership as roadside recovery service unable to fix problem.

"If Only Everything in Life was Reliable as a Volkswagen"
SOLD - 67 Golf GTi PP, 5dr, DSG in Issac Blue with rear camera, keyless entry, Dynaudio, Brescia alloys & DCC.

Offline DanDuda48

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2019, 22:08 »
My main key battery for my Golf lasted 28 months; the spare key battery 36 month.
Not that bad. I asked at the dealership, when I bought the car how long can I expect the battery to last and I was told that about 18 months.
And for less than £4.50 replacement , yes if only other things in life were so reliable...
2018 Golf GTI PP White Silver; DCC, Discover Pro; Lane Assist & DLA; Parking pack; Climate windscreen; rear tints.
2016 Golf GTD Oryx white; DCC; Tech pack [=Discover Pro + Dynaudio]; Sport & Sound; Lane Assist & DLA; Parking pack; Climate windscreen; rear tints

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2019, 17:29 »
Hi, what was the outcome? Might help others in the future...

2013 Golf GTI (PP) Tornado Red
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline Arnold_Lane

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2019, 13:36 »
Hi, what was the outcome? Might help others in the future...

Car spent four days with the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong nor could they repeat the problem after clearing the fault codes and getting it started. They thought it might have been a relay, but couldn't find one.

I will check regularly to see if any fault codes appear using OBDEleven, but the failure remains a bit of a puzzle.

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2019, 00:04 »
If it happens again, switch the hazard lights on, turn the headlight switch all the way on and off and pull the stalk to flash the main beams a couple of times. Sounds daft but any one of those actions can wake up the bus that the immobiliser functions on.