Author Topic: Won't start no spark crankcase sensor done  (Read 912 times)

Offline looops

• Just got here
Won't start no spark crankcase sensor done
« on: 18 February 2015, 16:26 »
Hi everyone.

Registered here and posted because you guys seem very hands on get on with it. 

Bought a Sept 2001 Golf Mk4 in lovely gold (beige) for my daughter. I've bought it as a project from a relative who has given up spending money trying to fix it. I was told the fault was that the engine dies after 5 mins and I took it on this basis because I did a bit of research and it's a common fault - crankshaft sensor goes wrong when warmed up a bit. However even though I've replaced the crankcase sensor it won't start, there's no spark at least on cylinder 1.

The rev counter shows 300 RPM or so when cranking so the crankcase sender is ok.
Immobiliser light goes out during cranking and if I wait with the ignition on.
My relative had changed the ECU but I changed it back in case it was a mapping issue.
VAG-COM Lite only showed one error - battery had been disconnected, which was true. I cleared that.
When cranking for 10 secs the dash shows STOP and the oil warning light flashes. Ignition off and on resets this.
If it was the camshaft sensor I'd expect a code in OBD right? The engine light does not go off after any time or when cranking.

I've not had a the chance to measure voltages at the coil packs or injector rail - is this the next step?

Any help gratefully received.

Paul.

Offline rio_gti

• I live here
  • "i'm not spending any money on it" Got a Hybrid!
Re: Won't start no spark crankcase sensor done
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2015, 10:40 »
Try anoher crank sensor!!!  When mine went it was intermittent and the stop light would come on but a new sensor sorted it.
Can you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the ignition on?

2000 GTI 1.8t ARZ, S2000 filter, DSG intake, Forge 007 dv, Catch can, R-tech custom remap, 3" Supersize Silicone TIP, Powerflex dog bone, 'The Beast' FMIC, Ultimate delete, LCR fuel pump, 3" Turbo back, K03 hybrid, Ported Manifold, S3 injectors, 80mm maf = 280bhp 270lbft :evil: