Author Topic: engine change  (Read 3578 times)

Offline nodwardo

• Not said much yet
engine change
« on: 13 February 2015, 15:25 »
Hi guys.

Cant find any posts relating to my exact question so apologies if this is a bit of a 'obvious question'.

I have the 2.0 gti, and before anyone says i know its sh*te, so i was thinking of putting an 1.8t in but dont know which is the best version to buy. Ive heard theres a few variations of this engine.

Also is it much of a job to change or is it like for like bar the obvious things like intercooler etc

Thanks in advance!

Offline MoMartin

• Here all the time
Re: engine change
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2015, 15:30 »
Bam is a popular engine to put in, you'd probably have to change the wiring loom and everything though which would get expensive . I think you'd be better off just selling the 2.0 then replacing it with a 1.8t to be honest, 1.8t's sell for quite cheap nowadays anyway.

If not that I'd look out for a donor car.

Offline nodwardo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2015, 15:34 »
I didnt think of a donor car! Good idea! Ive seen a few engines knocking about that come complete with loom, box, engine etc. Basically everything except the turbo and intercooler for a little over £400. Mileage doesnt matter as id probably rebuild it anyway just so its fresh!

Offline MoMartin

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2015, 15:48 »
That's not a bad price but you'd still have to change the brakes, driveshafts and (hubs?)

Offline nodwardo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2015, 15:55 »
I didnt realise all that was to change aswell??

Offline MoMartin

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2015, 16:11 »
The stock driveshafts won't cope with the amount of torque I wouldn't think, and as for the braking, it's up to you, but you'd be silly not to change the brakes in my opinion. I'm not too sure about the hubs, but I'd imagine they are different on the 1.8t

Offline nodwardo

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2015, 16:54 »
No probs thanks for the headsup. Just had a reply off a guy and he said i can have everything down to the brake pedal for £300. Absolute steel. But id probs be upgrading the turbo, intercooler etc anyway for more power.i had an s3 a few year back and i think it was an AUG engine and it popped so im still a bit wary atm!

Offline MoMartin

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2015, 18:53 »
Stock internals are meant to be good for up to 300ft pounds of torque + 300-350bhp, but anything after that and your conrods may snap (or so i've heard)
So keep that in mind if you're thinking of going down the big power route

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2015, 19:03 »
No probs thanks for the headsup. Just had a reply off a guy and he said i can have everything down to the brake pedal for £300. Absolute steel. But id probs be upgrading the turbo, intercooler etc anyway for more power.i had an s3 a few year back and i think it was an AUG engine and it popped so im still a bit wary atm!
the s3 was never fitted with the aug engine  :wink: plenty of cheap 1.8ts about with no mot so gets you everything you need  :smiley:

The stock driveshafts won't cope with the amount of torque I wouldn't think, and as for the braking, it's up to you, but you'd be silly not to change the brakes in my opinion. I'm not too sure about the hubs, but I'd imagine they are different on the 1.8t
standard gti shafts would cope no problem  :smiley:
« Last Edit: 13 February 2015, 19:05 by barrym381 »

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2015, 19:42 »
That's not a bad price but you'd still have to change the brakes, driveshafts and (hubs?)
i

And th anti-rollbar and some coolant pipes

Its not simply plug and play

My mate Dave did this conversion a few years back and bought a donor car  :smiley: