Author Topic: Do I need a new turbo?  (Read 2553 times)

Offline lighters

• Not said much yet
Do I need a new turbo?
« on: 12 February 2015, 21:24 »
Basically, drove my friends 1.8t agu thats exactly the same as mine and they were worlds apart.
Mine didnt have any fault codes however.

Had a carbonio induction and the filter had never been replaced in years and was completely wrecked, since replaced and has made a fairly big difference.

However the car still feels very flat in comparison.

What is the next best thing to do thats cost effective?
« Last Edit: 27 February 2015, 13:37 by lighters »

Offline nodwardo

• Not said much yet
Re: Multiple problems, some easy others unknown
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2015, 08:48 »
1. I has this problem and just changed the switch bit on the door card and it sorted it. But in the past on other cars ive had to change the regulator bit on the power window frame(inside the door)
2.check to see if its gassed up also.may be empty
3.unsure but sounds like sh*t within your brakes. Keeping your car clean will help lol
4.unsure on this one, may be a fuel leak though
5.no car should idle that high  thats usually found in cars with massive power. May have an idle control issue.

Im no mechanic just answering off past experience!

Good luck

Offline lighters

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2015, 15:53 »
1. Window -  Hasnt been looked at yet.
2. Aircon - Typical, its working fine now.
3. Brakes - Disks,pads and calipers are all fine.
4. Its not the fuel line, thats 2 mechanics had it up on rollers now and cant find it (They can smell it too and once they lift the bonnet)
5. I need the front arms replaced. £30 each and £60 for labour (£120 total incl labour) is that expensive?

Offline ap_gt3

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2015, 13:56 »
4. Id recommend cleaning the throttle body, takes less than 20 mins. It solved my high/ rough idle.

6. Check for boost leaks if you havent already, pretty common cause of power loss on these
Golf mk4 AUM... fmic, custom exhaust, 3" dp/decat, bbt actuator, s3 injectors, LCR fuel pump, sfs supersize tip, jetex filter, g60/vr6 clutch, badger 5 remap : 232.5 bhp / 242.3 lbft

Offline lighters

• Not said much yet
Need a new air filter
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2015, 15:44 »
Just drove someone elses golf gti 1.8t thats been remapped, OMG the difference is night and day. I cant believe I have had this car almost 2 years and only now just realised the power I have been missing out on :(

I need a new air filter, what is the best one to get with a 1.8t remap with 180 bhp?
« Last Edit: 14 February 2015, 15:55 by lighters »

Offline Foreveryoungaus16v

• I live here
Re: Which air filter to buy?
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2015, 17:17 »
Just because the one you drove felt a lot better does not mean yours will. Depends on a lot of factors,  mainly how healthy your engine is etc. If your car is not set up right that will affect it. For example,  lighter wheels, good tyres, uprated arbs, quality breaking with performance pads, poly bushing, exhaust.  The list is endless.  Thats why a lot of people sort out handling and braking etc before having any engine work done.
« Last Edit: 14 February 2015, 17:23 by Foreveryoungaus16v »

KW V2, TEAM DYNAMICS PRO RACE 1.2, EIBACH ARBS, DS 2500 PADS, BLACK DIAMOND DISCS, LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL, CHIPPED ECU, VIBRA TECHNIC MOUNTS, JETEX DECAT,  FULLY POLYBUSHED
163 BHP (TSR POWER RUN)

Offline lighters

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2015, 20:08 »
Sorry I should have been clear, all the bushes/arms/breaks are all new on my car. The tyres all have good tread on then. My air filter had obviously been blocked, i swapped his for mine and you could tell the difference immediately. There is still a massive difference either from the turbo or pipes being cracked but the difference is there. Think I'm going to sell it and get something faster.

Offline viperjsy

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 15 February 2015, 22:50 »
have you looked for vac leaks and have you cleand the throttle body and the maf as you sead your airfilter was blocked
« Last Edit: 15 February 2015, 22:54 by viperjsy »

Offline Pedroski

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2015, 20:48 »