Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362510 times)

Offline ScreenMachine

• Not said much yet
Quote from: Hardwell
Did you decide on what to get next?  I've been in a couple of MK6 GTDs and they're seriously rapid - especially in gear times.
[/quote

Yes have bought a 2011 A3 Quattro TDI, the Black Edition. Seems like an amazing machine, and I found one really low mileage and full Audi Service History. Must admit it's lovely not to worry about the engine blowing any second, and having to do major engine surgery before I can really relax and enjoy it a bit.

The car I also had a test drive in which was superior in every way was a 2012 A4 Quattro 2.0 TFSI (by 2012 they had cured the piston rings). Best car I've ever driven. No more power than the Golf GTI, but the control and handling was in a totally different league. It was a few grand more though, and the final killer was incredibly bad mpg. Even driving relatively carefully to see what I could eke out of it I managed no more than 24mpg on a mixed run. Ouch. Hence the diesel!

I'll say I'm saddened by how VW have handled the timing chain tensioner issue. I've never owned a non VAG group car, and have had three generations of golf over the years including a MK4 GTI 1.8T which is still going strong (with regular servicing) at 150,000+ miles and went down to the south of France last year without missing a beat. It's this type of build quality and reliability which has me coming back to the brand, as well as the fact the GTI is a lovely and iconic car. VW should do the right thing by owners and their own heritage and sort any of these issues out without question and keep the reputation of the car pristine.

Offline joe6

• I live here
VW Have dropped the ball with several engines. They have known about timing chain stretch on the 1.4 TSI for some time and seem to have admitted it if this link is to be believed but VW UK do not appear to accept any responsibility.
.http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=95765

Anyone any idea of revision dates for chains and cam pressure release valve?
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Hardwell

• Not said much yet
VW Have dropped the ball with several engines. They have known about timing chain stretch on the 1.4 TSI for some time and seem to have admitted it if this link is to be believed but VW UK do not appear to accept any responsibility.
.http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=95765

Anyone any idea of revision dates for chains and cam pressure release valve?

I don't know, but I'm presuming I've had the latest version fitted (or at least hoping lol) - V06K 109 158 AD
MK6 Golf GTi - Candy White - Xenons - RNS510 - Dynaudio - Bluetooth - 18" Monzas. Mods so far - Genuine LED rears - Milltek exhaust.

Offline joe6

• I live here
Thanks for the info - much appreciated.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline chris1h

• Here all the time
  • MK6 GTI BLACK 3 DOOR
is the front page of this kept up to date?
MK6 GTI - 2011 - PEARL BLACK - 3 DOOR  - 18" MONZA SHADOWS  -  RNS510/DAB  -  ACC  - SUNROOF  -  WINTER PACK  - DYNAUDIO  -  VIENNA LEATHER  - PARKING SENSORS  - BLUETOOTH

Offline bob@ludgate-consult.co.uk

• Just got here

Car purchased with mileage 6324

Always serviced as recommended by VW

Date                            Mileage                     

27/01/2011                   25884                                     Replaced fuel sender
09/11/2011                   38138                                     Repaired intake manifold
21/03/2012                   45843                                     Replaced timing chain and tensioner
16/12/2014                   93948                                  Replaced injectors

NO Compression Timing chain probably!

IS THIS NORMAL?

Offline AntGTD

• GTI forum regular

Car purchased with mileage 6324

Always serviced as recommended by VW

Date                            Mileage                     

27/01/2011                   25884                                     Replaced fuel sender
09/11/2011                   38138                                     Repaired intake manifold
21/03/2012                   45843                                     Replaced timing chain and tensioner
16/12/2014                   93948                                  Replaced injectors

NO Compression Timing chain probably!

IS THIS NORMAL?

Which Golf is it?
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD 180(ish) Reflex Silver with loads of stuff

Offline Ali6295

• Just got here
2009 gti 75000miles. Chain jumped causing damage to valves four weeks after the chain and tensioner were replaced as a precautionary measure by a local mechanic. All genuine vw parts were used. Vw halifax have diagnosed the car and have said the oil pump and regulator failed and this was the cause of the engine failing. This however does not explain why the chain jumped. Currently arguing this fact with them as all parts where purchased from the dealer are covered by warranty. Seems to me they are purposefully blaming the oil pump to avoid paying out for the damage to my car. Does anybody have any advice on what i should do?

Offline chor808

• Just got here
Hello All,

I have a 2009 Passat with the 2.0 TSI engine found in the GTI. It was purchased in Canada and now I use it back home in the UK. We have had it since new and will drive it as long as possible, it is left had drive so have no intension (or chance) of ever selling it. It has been 'tweaked' a bit with a K04.

I was reading over this thread and I have to guess that my car is in the group of cars affected by this issue. At the moment it sounds fine at start up and has done 50k+ miles. From what I'm reading is it now that both the chain and the tensioner needs to be replaced or can you just change the tensioner to the new part?

Thanks!

Offline The ANT

• Here all the time
If you're replacing the tensioner you may as well replace the chain, most of the work would already be done in just the tensioner, and then it would be longer before it needs attention and you also have increased peace of mind.
Suffering from a severe and unforgiving case of GTItis