Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 364380 times)

Offline ScreenMachine

• Not said much yet
Thanks.

Yeah if I already owned the car it would have been different, but where I had the option to withdraw it seemed the most sensible choice, particularly since there are other cars I'm even more into which don't have such a destructive known issue (hopefully!).

Such a shame, though, lovely car. There is a very nice GTD for sale near me... ;)

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
What about the mk7?

Offline Hardwell

• Not said much yet
I'd worry about the MK7 suffering with the same issue though and that's the reason I'll be looking elsewhere early next year!  VW haven't exactly got a good track record in this area - I remember the MK4 GTi turbo had an issue with water pumps taking the belt out prematurely and the R32 also had cam chain issues (that make repairing a MK6 GTi look cheap in comparison).  It's sad as the idea of a chain is it's meant to be more reliable than a composite belt, yet the reality is you'd be far better of with a belt that you have to change every 40-60,000 miles for c.£250 at an indie than a stretched chain which costs upwards of £1200 depending on your luck. 

What annoys me the most is my mate runs a 1997 Micra as a daily which he bought ten years ago on 85,000 that he's now thrashed up to 200,000 and it's still on its original chain!
« Last Edit: 20 February 2016, 09:36 by Hardwell »
MK6 Golf GTi - Candy White - Xenons - RNS510 - Dynaudio - Bluetooth - 18" Monzas. Mods so far - Genuine LED rears - Milltek exhaust.

Offline gaurav_aidasani

• GTI forum regular
Personally I don't see why the idea of changing the tensioner is so stressful to some. It's just like a cam belt change. Plenty of owners on this forum have had it changed and seem to be happy with it.

Like someone said, GTIs are bloody good all rounders and very few cars come close to it in terms of practicality and performance.

Nevertheless each to their own and if you're not comfortable with a tensioner change then you look somewhere else, and enjoy what you drive even if it's a micra with 200k on the clock haha

SM all the best with your new search, do let us know what you go for !

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
I was quoted about £1,200 by VW to have it changed. sounds a bit steep!

Offline Hardwell

• Not said much yet
The MK6 GTi is a fantastic car - I love mine - it's just a shame poor engineering has tainted its reputation!

I also agree it's just a tensioner that, in isolation, isn't that big a deal.  The problem is though not many (including me) found out that there's a problem with it until it's too late;  I only found out when my EML came on and the RAC bloke told me to prepare myself for the worst! 

VW should have done the decent thing from the start and recalled all affected cars, but as it is, they've made themselves a nice little earner out of it.
MK6 Golf GTi - Candy White - Xenons - RNS510 - Dynaudio - Bluetooth - 18" Monzas. Mods so far - Genuine LED rears - Milltek exhaust.

Offline joe6

• I live here
I'd worry about the MK7 suffering with the same issue though and that's the reason I'll be looking elsewhere early next year!  VW haven't exactly got a good track record in this area - I remember the MK4 GTi turbo had an issue with water pumps taking the belt out prematurely and the R32 also had cam chain issues (that make repairing a MK6 GTi look cheap in comparison).  It's sad as the idea of a chain is it's meant to be more reliable than a composite belt, yet the reality is you'd be far better of with a belt that you have to change every 40-60,000 miles for c.£250 at an indie than a stretched chain which costs upwards of £1200 depending on your luck. 

What annoys me the most is my mate runs a 1997 Micra as a daily which he bought ten years ago on 85,000 that he's now thrashed up to 200,000 and it's still on its original chain!

My daughter has my old Astra coupe 2.2 (X reg) on 170k and still on the original chain with no problems. VW just did not do enough testing and left us with the bill. :angry:
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Hardwell

• Not said much yet
Exactly and the same with EP3 & FN2 Civic Type R - both chain-driven and go 150k + miles without issue.  That's why I wouldn't be surprised if in two years time the same happens with the MK7s as they start coming out of warranty.

Offline ScreenMachine

• Not said much yet
This is not the same at all as a timing belt change.

There is not an inherent fault implied in a timing belt/tensioner which means it could be expected to fail at any time regardless of mileage or maintenance.

It is a service item with a safe limit in terms of age/mileage and it is designed to be relatively easily and economically replaced as part of interval servicing.

The timing chain tensioner in the golf is assumed not to be a service item, but there for the reasonable life of the vehicle. They have been proved to fail randomly regardless of mileage and maintenance level. They were never designed to be routinely replaced, so access is difficult and parts are prohibitively expensive if you do the job properly and replace the chains, guides and covers. There are, I believe, four revisions of the chains themselves, so this could be chain stretch as well as tensioner failure.

It is also too early to tell whether the latest revision of the tensioners/chains are immune to problems and actually fix the issue in the long term. So changing them out will not necessarily fix the problem.

For me, this made it an unacceptable risk in terms of a pretty large investment.

I'm actually surprised existing owners haven't been more vocal about the problem to VW, etc. In the case of the well-publicised piston ring issue with the longitudinal version of the TFSI engine in the A4, after Watchdog publicised it, Audi started replacing the engines with no cost to the owner and refunding customers who had previously paid to solve the issue out of their own pockets.

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
Maybe this forum should take all this evidence to watchdog too.....?