Author Topic: been a while..... but two rides to mess with..... 20v turbo new beetle and caddy  (Read 7669 times)

Offline kniterider

• I live here
  • had most, sold most and often buy more!
got two new rides to start doing bits too.....

sold the 20v turbo mk4 golf as the mrs didnt like it after her mini cooper company car, so as a compromise i got rid and got her a low mileage 20v turbo new beetle...usual turbo extras with electric spoiler n stuff, its got some 17" wheels on at the moment but im not sure how long theyll stay as they look a tad small... its engine code awu which i cant seem to find alot of info about.... any how had it about a month now, just got it mot'd today then cambelt / waterpump / tensioner etc to do over the coming weekends then its good to do a few bits to, lowering looks like a pain in the ass as you ant get to strut tops with out taking bonnet/ scuttle and more off to get to em!! might actually get round to getting topher to map this one as its hers and a keeper.... goes well though, alot quicker than the agu turbo golf and there both spose to be 150bhp , rear spoiler is stupid though, if you want it to pop up you have to hit 100 mph... then it will go down at about 85 mph.... mad, why the hell would they set it to do that at them speeds for the uk market? oh well, lowering, bigger wheels, private plate on and a forge valve and induction kit and then a remap, not worth doing anything else to really as its the mrs's daily drive...

have been running a merc vito van over the summer months but works not as busy over winter so wanted a smaller van and more economical so got a caddy van... tis a 2002 jobby, an sdi which is slow but good on fuel, full leccy pack with remote locking , leccy windows and mirrors... has some gash rocco wheels on it which i hate ont he cars there spose to be on let alone this!! , so picked up some 15" cheesey multifit wheels with new tyres for peanuts and will swap em over tomorrow till ive decided whether its a keeper or not, drives well but unless there lowered and a few other bits they look a bit sh!te... lol not as cool as a t4 by a long way and i miss both of mine...but its better than driving a berlingo or kangoo...lol

any one want any gash rocco / clipper alloys?? 3 with good tyres.... better look in the forsale section then!! haha

:grin:

Offline kniterider

• I live here
well before anything interesting happens.....

i mssive turkey sized pheasant flew into the caddy van at 60mph the other day, so need to pull out the dent on the 'car to van' passenger side of the van.....

and the turbo bug has developed a little rattle on start up for a second, its already had the sump and strainer done which is a common probs on the 20v turb engine, this how ever is the vvt / cam chain tensioner playing up and not holding its pressure, its ok as soon as its got pressure but them seconds could knack the inlet valves , so did an oil flush and change to quatum gold fully synthetic and new filter today, its a little bit quieter but still has same problem  :(

so cambelt / water pump / idler / tensioner need doing next week anyway to just waiting on a price on the replacement vvt unit then ill set to doing the whole lot.... gonna be fun as havent stripped a 20v vvt engine down for a few years but still remember most of it.......

just gonna be tight, as tight in the golf mk4 but looking today in the beetle chassis / body its gonna be a whole lot tighter....

oh well best get growing a few layers of skin on my knuckles over the next 6 days....

will take pictures as its done as its a inlet cam out job so full of fun... then once sorted , the bug can be lowered, new wheels, exhaust and remap etc etc...

and as for the caddy what evers done to that is on the cheap as its a work horse...., want it lower really but looking into axle flips n stuff looks a pain in the ar@e!

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Beetle spoiler can be reprogramed so will rise at a lower speed.

Offline kniterider

• I live here
yeah might have to look into that wayne, can it be done with some one with vag com or does it require some other means , cause it seems a bit stupid to come on at flippin 100 mph!! then close about 85.... think it would be better to come on around 60mph and close when you slow down to about 50mph....

from what ive gathered on a private runway it does f@ck all any way... lol just a gimmick they put on the turbo and v5 model... lol

:smiley:

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
yeah might have to look into that wayne, can it be done with some one with vag com or does it require some other means , cause it seems a bit stupid to come on at flippin 100 mph!! then close about 85.... think it would be better to come on around 60mph and close when you slow down to about 50mph....

from what ive gathered on a private runway it does f@ck all any way... lol just a gimmick they put on the turbo and v5 model... lol

Not sure but I believe it can be set to rise at 70mph.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
What MPG you getting out of the Bug? Mrs horney is considering one and I was thinking the 20vT would be better than the 2.0 8v.

Nick

Offline kniterider

• I live here
hello mate,

my mrs has wanted a bug for years n years, so after losing the 07 mini cooper company car due to council costcutting and her not liking the mk4 turbo i brought her we got this...

test drove a few 2.0 8v beetles and tbh they were absolute sh!te.... we test drove a 1.6 version that i swear would have eaten the 2.0 for dust!! , so after going back to the drawing board so to speak and a few seaches and reviews we found the turbo one we have now, runing about 38 mpg round and about but im sure will be more on linger journeys etc.... no fuel computer on ours so just going on what we worked out......

for the few quid a month more on insurance its worth it really, not sure on beetle specs but drives and stops and is 20 times quicker than 2.0 .... lol

although we have had the cam chain rattle issue rise its head, which after an oil change seems a bit better but will still need a new vvt solenoid unit its still going to be quids in fuel and oil consumption...

have a few test drives and see what you think.... driving position is strange and takes a while to get used to width and lenght of the car but if im totally honest i prefer it hands down to any of the mk4 golfs ive had!!

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Cheers for the reply bud. Sounds promising. What sort of mileage did this one come with and for how much?

Nick

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Yooooooooooo!... hello mate, you been hiding in the mk4 section then?... not seen you post for like what.......... ever!  :grin:

Nice to see your rides.. Beetle looks good!  You should keep the wheels on the caddy and colour code them!  :laugh:

Offline kniterider

• I live here
ello mate, wheels on caddy gone now, some cheese ball 15" multifit ones at min... till ive sorted what im doing with it...

horney;

mileage was 79k when we got it and paid £2700 , but needs cambelt and this other issue thats appeared sorting, shouldnt be to bad..

:)