Author Topic: Greyed out globe and we connect  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
Greyed out globe and we connect
« on: 21 March 2021, 19:55 »
Can anyone give me any help regarding the greyed out globe to VW Servers. I have tried a reset and nothing and I'm logged out of my primary account which will not let me log back in and just getting error message saying sorry can't do this at the moment which I think maybe down to no service to VW. Also does anyone know if you can use your mobile for a hotspot. I have it switched on in my I-Phone 12 and searching on WI-FI on the on screen controls but can't see my phone popping up and see nothing for using hot spot

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Greyed out globe and we connect
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2021, 21:05 »
Yes greyed out means no connection back to vw. Could be the esim with no service or could be vw servers offline... They do go offline with a terrible often frequency.

Yes you can connect via your phones WiFi hot-spot too. Go into the settings, turn off the esim and connect to your hot-spot.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2021, 22:36 »
Yes greyed out means no connection back to vw. Could be the esim with no service or could be vw servers offline... They do go offline with a terrible often frequency.

Yes you can connect via your phones WiFi hot-spot too. Go into the settings, turn off the esim and connect to your hot-spot.

Thanks Fred, first time it's happened since I got the car on 14th Feb, okies will give that a go through hotspot, does it actually say anywhere to connect to hotspot or should my phone come up while searching in WIFI but it couldn't see it with all switched on from my phone end 

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2021, 22:47 »
You should be able to find the phone hot-spot in the WiFi setup in the car.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2021, 12:04 »
Did you get it working again Si?

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2021, 17:40 »
Did you get it working again Si?

Hi Fred, yeah all sorted and connected again, I drove about a mile out my area and turned of the restriction on guest and managed to connect again  and login to my primary address, also got the hotspot sorted to, all though it was showing in my phone didn't realise you still had to turn it on 😂. Fingers crossed with the connection but it's been on all afternoon. Logged it with VW and come back to me and said I might have to take it to a dealer for a full reset but I got it working by the time the email had been sent

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2021, 18:11 »
Glad it's fixed. It's flakey as hell 😔

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2021, 19:03 »
Glad it's fixed. It's flakey as hell 😔

I have read on other forums it's bad and some can't even set up primary user in there new Tiguans. See how long it lasts. You enjoying the car Fred ?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2021, 20:22 »
Totally love it actually. There are a few minor niggles that's only because I spent so much time in the mk7 but it's a fantastic thing really. Looking forward to really getting out there in it, but god knows when that will be  :cry:

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 22 March 2021, 21:11 »
That's good glad you are enjoying it 😊. I had a bit of a run out over the weekend I feel the same. Can't wait to get out in the summer months