Author Topic: CAT?  (Read 1960 times)

Offline +49

• Here all the time
CAT?
« on: 20 January 2007, 20:08 »
Does my December 1990 H REG 16v have a CAT? if so could these be causing the weird running problem? (still haven't got it up on the ramps)

Ildes at 1k

If u simply just tap the thottle car will instantly stall and needs a foot full of revs to pull away (2k odd) which  makes it hard to pull away with will spinning or jerking most of the time or stalling )

Car makes a sufficating noise about 4k when floored and can't go much past that , if i put the throttle 1/4 of the way it will stop slputtering and start going higher .... (it will rev up to redline in neutal obvoius cos theres no forces on the engine)

I changes the air filter and the sprarks today , so i am asumming its deffo the timing? if not my lil bro thinks it could be a the CAT? but i don't think cars this old had em?

Its kinda annoying this as this cars a twin carm and i am yet to go over 4k where the real power is, alls i can be impressed with is the well balanced handling and composed ride , without being harsh which for  a car in 1990 i am very impressed

Offline mk2mark

• I live here
Re: CAT?
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2007, 22:28 »
Apparently no mk2 golfs had cats. Mine's a 91 8v and it hasn't one.

Offline Brads MK2 GTI

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2007, 10:56 »
Never UK spec as it came into law the year the MK2 ceased production. You can get them on MK2's though, think it was a (probably expensive) optional extra, and I think foreign cars may have them on due to differences in law etc.

Offline bustersballs

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2007, 19:21 »
broke a couple of carbed Mk2s up that have had cats,haven't seen one on a GTi as yet

Offline Neaty

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2007, 19:54 »
catalytic converters only came into pracitce in 1992, in time for the mark 3. So no Mark 2's, certainly not UK spec anyway, have them

Offline myoptika

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2007, 00:22 »
If this is the case, what fuel should I be running my 1988 Mk2 GTI 16v on? I've currently got 98 unleaded in it - should I be getting some 4star occasionally or is it ok to run on hi-octane unleaded?

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
« Reply #6 on: 22 January 2007, 09:49 »
A CAT was an option for the MK2, but not many people in the UK asked for it.

A 16v would have to be reigned in if a cat was fitted, softer cams, different (KE-Jet) management etc.  The short answer is, "not very likely" ;)

Any 97+RON petrol will be fine, no problems with unleaded.  You can run 95RON petrol in an emergency, but because the 16v has no knock sensor it my start pinking, so you have to drive it slowly, no full throttle :)
« Last Edit: 22 January 2007, 09:51 by rubjonny »
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline +49

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 22 January 2007, 21:40 »
Hmm well i don't thinks it the cat as this werid problem was solved when a m8s dad told be to turn the dis cap , the part it sits on

I pressume to do the timeing properly your remove both of these bolts and adjust perfectly , well i simply loosed the bolts and moved it 1/2 cm and the car for the first time went of 4k and pulled hard to 6k :D ya still stops at 6.1k odd and does the weird thing again but i pressume it just needs the proper adjustment

well atleast it pul for now, but it still needs 1.8k revs to pul away and if u just tad the thorttle a bit  it still stalls but i am working on these next week, any likely suspects to these problems? i've changed the sparks and air filter

anything else that could cause this strange ideling problem? (idles just over 1k and i tried to screw the idle all the way down sits at 1k no less) or is this still all to do with the timing we way out still?  or not linked?

Offline myoptika

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 22 January 2007, 23:20 »
My 16v idles at 1200 as well, so I think I might have a problem too.

Offline Golf8vGti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2007, 00:55 »
CAT wasnt a requirement till beginning of august 1992 hence why my mk2 8valve dosnt have a CAT as it was registerd the start of 1992  :smiley: