Author Topic: 1st MK1 Golf GTI  (Read 41569 times)

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
Re: 1st MK1 Golf GTI
« Reply #30 on: 05 March 2012, 12:12 »
your a brave brave man, iv restored some car in bad condition in my time but sh!t thats bad you got alot of work n money to be spent there mate....ima have to follow this so make sure u keep it updated ;) good luck

Lol she has seen better days, updates will be abit on the slow side as its a long term project keep me busy, just gotta sorce some of the repair panels first, thank god for VW classic parts!  :nerd:

Not long after I started mine, I made a list on my project and dub rides threads of everything it needed. (it seemed like a never ending list at one point as you always end up finding that you need more stuff each time you do something to the car  :grin:) Might be worth you doing the same...  At times others maybe able to point you in the right direction if you struggle to find certain things and it's also just good reference for yourself.

Thats not a bad shout, i think once its completely stripped i should have an idea what im gunna need but it'll be one of themwont it as u say constantly adding to it and not taking much off lol!

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #31 on: 05 March 2012, 12:17 »
^^^ Yep, my list is out of date and the moment and needed less panels than yours but even HERE it was getting quite big.  I still need to add more to it and cross off all the stuff that's been done.

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #32 on: 05 March 2012, 20:52 »
Just had a look at your thread, your golf was in pretty good condition body wise lol, i cant believe the amount of wiring behind ur dash it must have been buldging! Im happy to say iv only found 2 wires snipped off on my interior loom so far but lighting loom has had all headlight connectors chopped! Need to source a new 1.

Last thing on my mind at the minute!  :laugh:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #33 on: 05 March 2012, 21:21 »
Just had a look at your thread, your golf was in pretty good condition body wise lol, i cant believe the amount of wiring behind ur dash it must have been buldging! Im happy to say iv only found 2 wires snipped off on my interior loom so far but lighting loom has had all headlight connectors chopped! Need to source a new 1.

Last thing on my mind at the minute!  :laugh:

It was immaculate!  :cry:

Can help you find a new loom when the time comes.  :wink:

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #34 on: 05 March 2012, 21:36 »
Yeah that would be cool, id appreciate that.

Offline travisreeve

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 06 March 2012, 18:00 »
Wiring.. A walk in the park   :lipsrsealed: :laugh:

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #36 on: 06 March 2012, 20:17 »
Lol its got to be said theres naff all in MK1 golfs is there at all and wiring is pretty basic, should be ok as mines only 1600 so no mfa or anything so wont be too bad.  :cool:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #37 on: 07 March 2012, 09:47 »
Lol its got to be said theres naff all in MK1 golfs is there at all and wiring is pretty basic, should be ok as mines only 1600 so no mfa or anything so wont be too bad.  :cool:

Don't speak too soon.  :grin:  :lipsrsealed:

Offline BISSONE

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #38 on: 07 March 2012, 10:19 »

Lol im an eletrician so hopefully be ok, just gotta make sure i write down what came from where, althought im not really sure what worked and what didnt before as i only drove it on and off the drive once so could be fun hehe. Had abit of a reality check yesterday, MK1 parts are deffinately harder to get than MK2 parts. Have to make sure i break as little as possible when i remove it!
Hoping to finish stripping it the weekend and possibly remove the sound deadening from the footwells, lovely jobby.  :cry:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #39 on: 07 March 2012, 10:26 »

Lol im an eletrician so hopefully be ok, just gotta make sure i write down what came from where, althought im not really sure what worked and what didnt before as i only drove it on and off the drive once so could be fun hehe. Had abit of a reality check yesterday, MK1 parts are deffinately harder to get than MK2 parts. Have to make sure i break as little as possible when i remove it!
Hoping to finish stripping it the weekend and possibly remove the sound deadening from the footwells, lovely jobby.  :cry:

Sadly mine was fooked and had to start from scratch which made finding what went to where a little bit of a pain in the ass.  Still got a couple of unknowns going on behind the fusebox.

Yes, part finding can be a biatch.  There are still some good deals still to be had on perishables.   Brakes, bearings and the like.

Once you start making a list of what you need, post it up.  :wink: