Author Topic: It Dies....?  fuel problem?  (Read 2074 times)

Offline bugsy72

• Just got here
It Dies....?  fuel problem?
« on: 25 March 2003, 15:56 »
Hey all, i know this is a GTI forum, but i cant afford the insurance at the mo! hehe :)

My 1.4 '93 Golf MK3 has a little problem,.. its happened twice now...

first time, i came round a tight bend, accelerated out of it, moved about 30 meters down the road and the car just died...  cut out instantly, with the 'oil' light flashing.  It wouldnt restart until an hour later when meracliously it did without touching a thing bar a search in the engine bay.

I didnt think much off it, and assumed id just stalled it somehow being a new car.

Second time was much more worrying.  Travelling at about  70mph in the fast lane, it did it again!   :o THANKFULLY  it picked up again almost straight away, without having to restart, but it gave me a shock :P

What do you thinks causeing this? had any similar problems?  I'm thinking its a fuel feed problem somewhere.... thats what it feels like?

Cheers for any help all!
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline stoat

• GTI forum regular
Re: It Dies....? ?fuel problem?
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2003, 12:21 »
have you checked the oil
MK3 GTI 8V

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2003, 17:29 »
have you checked the oil

Do you know 'stoat', that was the first thing that occurred to me when I read that. I don't know anything about the Mk3 but if its anything like my 1991 Audi, there are loads of safety devices, sensors etc. One that has caught me out is when the oil level gets low, it won't let you start the damn thing, bummer if you haven't got any oil on you (which I now carry at all times).
Try checking your oil level, might be something similar, you never know :-/

mo3000

« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2003, 21:00 »
Fuel pump relay.

These always give trouble on 1.4 Mk3's and Polo's. Its about ?12.  When it 'stalled at 70 did the rev counter die, (ie go sraight to zero) and the oil light come on, and after a few frightening second which seems like hours the damn car come back to life?

It can also be your ignition switch, but that is much more obvious when its screwed, ie the switch doesn't give a positive click when in each position.

Offline bugsy72

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2003, 02:56 »
Thanks people, stoat & rich&hazel, yes i did check the oil im affraid, everything was fine.  Did that before i called the RAC the first time :>  tried to start the car but there was nothing there at all, it turned but just wouldnt kick in.

But of course with the magic RAC guy there it worked first time he tried it :P

To Mo3000:  What you desicribed was Exactly what happened :)  interesting points!! will check that out,  i actually had the ignition replaced due to damage during a break in... so it could well be that still playing up.  Ive had a little trouble starting it sometimes, when turning the key it tends to miss or 'stick' pyhsically but i just put it down to it being a new ignition cylinder etc? Maybe its not 100% :)   ill try look into that fuel pump relay too,

cheers for the help, very useful :)
Any other offers on what the problem may be?