Author Topic: Newbie questions...everyone loves newbie questions right...?  (Read 5184 times)

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
Thanks Gnasher, very helpful.

Excuse my ignorance...what's a resonator delete and suitcase delete?

Cheers

You're standard exhaust has 2 boxes in it. One (closer to the front, long triangular shaped box) is the resonator. People have removed this one for a reasonable increase in sound. The downside of this is that doing it can make the car drone at certain revs.

The backbox  is (obviously lol) the box at the back. This can be replaced by a Y pipe to also increase volume. Ffrom what I've seen, this can be louder than the resonator delete.

Obviously before getting your exhaust modified, I'd be tempted to check one that's been done already as you might not like the sound.

I personally bought the Milltek, but I wanted better looking tailpipes too.

You don't want to buy a DTUK tuning box do you? I've got one for sale in the classifieds lol.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline dereks

• Here all the time
My friend has a tornado R with gloss black mirrors they look great.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
Remove all the GTI ironwork aka debadge.
That way you can potter up to the the trafic lights pensioner style, let the boy racer (Kevin and Tracy sunstrip) draw up alongside, then blow him away on green.
Cruel I know but the look on his face in your rear view mirror will be priceless.

:whistle:

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Hi all,

Recently picked up a 2013 Mk7 GTI PP and have a couple of questions that I hope you can help me with:

3 - Swirl marks in Tornado red paint - pretty noticeable in the sun...what's the best way to get rid of / minimise them short of spending $$$ on a professional detail.

4 - Am I wrong to want to get black carbon mirror covers...?

5 - It's pretty quiet...last owner had the soundaktor turned down I believe (?) That's fine, not a fan of piped in fake noise, but what recommendations do people have for airboxes / exhausts? Or should I enjoy the peace n quiet and leave it standard?

6 - Being a 2013 year car mine has silver GTi badges rather than the red ones (it's a PP car) Should I swap them for red or leave silver...can't make my mind up...

Any help, opinions or just comments telling me to use the search function are all welcomed :)

Cheers,

Greig

3. Get yourself a DA and do it yourself, great colour choice too :whistle:

4. CF mirror covers are a bit hit and miss fit wise and the clips are a bit brittle and can snap easily (unless you go oem at £4-500). Either get them wrapped (cheap and a guaranteed perfect fit) or fit oem gloss black ones from here - http://www.vwmotorparts.com/accessories-c-37_472_473/genuine-vw-golf-mk7-facelift-mirror-caps-high-gloss-black-p-1474.html

5. Get the soundaktor turned up a bit before spending loads of money on potentially disappointing exhaust mods that your insurer may object to. It will be a low cost option and although I know lots don't like it but I do even though like you I thought I wouldn't. Once tried you can always switch it off again and go down the modified exhaust route.

6. The red badges do look better but as already mentioned badgeskins seem the way to go.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
Thanks Watts  - good shout on the black OEM covers - thank you!
2013 Golf GTI (PP) Tornado Red
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
Badgeskins ordered...hopefully won't take too long to arrive...
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
One more newbie Q...maybe better placed in the detailing section, but can anyone recommend a good product to darken the plastic sill strip that runs along the base of the doors - mine seems to be looking more grey thank black due to the recent weather.

I remember putting black boot polish on similar bits of my 205gti back 'int day...and forever having black marks over my clothes as a result. I'm sure in these days of fanatical detailing there's something more appropriate for the job...

Greig
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
I have just fitted a black plastic protector to my back hatch sill so I can put my foot on it with fear of scratching the surface.
To keep the plastic in good condition the company leaflet advised.....

black shoe polish!

:grin:

Offline MrJollygood

• GTI forum regular
Haha, brilliant!
1959 Triumph TR3A
2014 Porsche Cayman S

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
Sill protectors - detailing with black shoe polish.

Bought a tin from Tesco's @ £1.10p
Gave the plastic a quick wash off with a damp towel
One coat of black polish applied in small circles with a folded tissue
Left it for 2-3mins then buffed it up with a sheet of kitchen towel
Result = Simply Perfect (and cheaper than chips)!

Stood in the sun for a week and stiil as good as the day I applied it.