Author Topic: Polishing and protecting gloss plastics  (Read 3185 times)

Offline AmbushReality

• Not said much yet
Polishing and protecting gloss plastics
« on: 14 April 2018, 19:20 »
Right so now that the sun is out I can see all the defects left by the dealership when they prepped the car after it first arrived.

I'm reasonably good with a DA now but my old car did not have gloss plastics, and I've seen today after a wash plenty of swirls (I hope not created by me and my washmitt) all over the B pillar plastics. So I want to know the best method of getting rid of them and then protecting the plastic to prevent further swirls? Any help is appreciated.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: Polishing and protecting gloss plastics
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2018, 21:35 »
Right so now that the sun is out I can see all the defects left by the dealership when they prepped the car after it first arrived.

I'm reasonably good with a DA now but my old car did not have gloss plastics, and I've seen today after a wash plenty of swirls (I hope not created by me and my washmitt) all over the B pillar plastics. So I want to know the best method of getting rid of them and then protecting the plastic to prevent further swirls? Any help is appreciated.

B pillars are always the first to swirl. And the gloss black plastics. DA will do it. Usual correction and refinement process applies, but ideally you need spot pads for B pillars. Even smaller for some of the other gloss black trim.  I’ve recently bought a Rupes Mini Bigfoot to tackle smaller areas (as my Das Pro Plus doesn’t take spot pads), but even that might struggle on some of the very small trim parts.  Rupes IBrid would be up to the job but very expensive bit of kit but there are other options.  I’d start with spot pads on your existing DA and see where that takes you. Once corrected, a decent sealant to protect, but keeping future swirls at bay is all down to careful washing, drying and protection techniques.  No sealant can stop swirls.
« Last Edit: 14 April 2018, 21:39 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2018, 21:43 »
Some B pillar polishing pics here

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/19603-just-for-fundetailing-marquee-test-run-now-with-added-spring-detail/?do=findComment&comment=324892

Apologies for the link to another forum but all the pics I posted in similar thread on here have vanished (bloody post image.org,)
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline AmbushReality

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2018, 22:20 »
Thanks Booth, I did have a search on this forum expecting one of your posts to hold the answer  :grin:

The smallest pads I've got are 3 inch so will have to shop around for some smaller ones and a backing plate to go with it.

That marquee from your linked post is the dream! I'm trying to borrow a family friend's but it is smaller and will only offer shade and not all round coverage. Results were great on those b-pillars!

Plan was to attack with a hex logic finishing pad and 205, but will search for a spot pad instead, is there any particular one you recommend?

Also slightly derailing my own thread, I had a nose through your thread and noticed for your decon stage you used iron X and a fallout remover, is that not much of the same or do they attack 2 seperate things?
« Last Edit: 14 April 2018, 22:39 by AmbushReality »

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2018, 22:34 »
Thanks Booth, I did have a search on this forum expecting one of your posts to hold the answer  :grin:

The smallest pads I've got are 3 inch so will have to shop around for some smaller ones and a backing plate to go with it.

That marquee from your linked post is the dream! I'm trying to borrow a family friend's but it is smaller and will only offer shade and not all round coverage. Results were great on those b-pillars!

Plan was to attack with a hex logic finishing pad and 205, but will search for a spot pad instead, is there any particular one you recommend?

3” spots will be fine for B pillars.  I did mine with 5” pads and they were fine apart from some tiny areas at the base of the pillar which the pad was just too big for, but a 3”pad will be perfect. It’s only on trim like the rear window gloss plastic fins, and some front grill areas that even a 3”pad would struggle to reach.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 14 April 2018, 23:49 »

Also slightly derailing my own thread, I had a nose through your thread and noticed for your decon stage you used iron X and a fallout remover, is that not much of the same or do they attack 2 seperate things?

No, they are the same thing.  I used Iron X (iron/fallout remover), and then another similar fallout remover, Obsessive Detail fallout remover, as I ran out of Iron X, but it was all for the same job of removing iron/fallout deposits. Then I used Tardis (tar/glue remover), then clayed to remove any remaining embedded contaminants. 
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 15 April 2018, 07:21 »

3” spots will be fine for B pillars.  I did mine with 5” pads and they were fine apart from some tiny areas at the base of the pillar which the pad was just too big for, but a 3”pad will be perfect. It’s only on trim like the rear window gloss plastic fins, and some front grill areas that even a 3”pad would struggle to reach.

Was going to say you can do B pillars with a 130mm pad.

This is a RS3 I did, single stage machine polish with my Flex Rotary. Not perfect but night and day difference.

https://instagram.com/p/Bb7n8MijRAO/
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline JasonGTD

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 15 April 2018, 14:01 »
simple answer is do as I do with all my cars, go to good detailer and get a full paint correction done and then paint protection.  :smiley:
2018 MK 7.5 GTD 3 Dr in Pure White,Extras,Front Splitter, Carbon Exhaust Tips.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 15 April 2018, 16:56 »
simple answer is do as I do with all my cars, go to good detailer and get a full paint correction done and then paint protection.  :smiley:

Some people enjoy doing the detailing themselves.  :smiley:
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual