Author Topic: Steering wheel protection  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
Steering wheel protection
« on: 08 April 2018, 07:59 »
hi guys, in a month or so I’ll be taking delivery of my 3rd mk7 - My new GTI to replace my current GTD.

On all the VW’s I’ve ever owned, after a few months the steering wheel turns from the lovely Matt finish when brand new to quite shiny. My 2 MK7’s seem to have been affected worse. Don’t know if I have, sweaty hands or my aftershave or what, but my wheel seems much worse then my wife’s Polo Blue GT which we picked up the same day as my current GTD.

I’m therefore, wanting to know if there’s some sort of barrier protection I can apply to the new wheel that will maintain the matt finish but just give it some protection going forward please ?
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline AmbushReality

• Not said much yet
Re: Steering wheel protection
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2018, 21:42 »
I think it is a matter of a little cleaning often with an APC, every 2-4 weeks depending on how many miles you do. I also used Gtechniq L1 leather guard when I picked the car up to keep the matte finish but add a bit of protection. Leather doesn't need conditioning or anything really, just regular cleaning and protection.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2018, 18:35 »
Wear silk gloves.

In all seriousness, there is little that you can do. The leather absorbs the oils that we secrete, which is what makes it go shiny, so needs quite harsh cleaners to remove them. Flash magic erasers do a good job of cleaning, but do rub away at the surface, so should not be used too often.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2018, 17:54 »
Pears soap
http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=1693034

The original version, no longer made though and hard to find.
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black