Author Topic: What are your .:Rs like in the snow?  (Read 15482 times)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
What are your .:Rs like in the snow?
« on: 12 December 2017, 11:28 »
On the news the other night, there was the obligatory shot of a car with it's wheels spinning in snow and not moving. In this case it was a 7.5 .:R. The shot was just of the front wheels and bumper, but it was unmistakably an .:R. Could it have been staged, or are they quite poor?
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
Re: What are your .:Rs like in the snow?
« Reply #1 on: 12 December 2017, 11:59 »
It's R not .:R.  :grin:

If you drive any car with summer tyres in snow it will be sh!t.
I've overtaken a number of 4x4s in the last few days with my GTD on winter tyres. Left an E63 AMG at the lights for good (and he was trying so miserably) in a laughable amount of snow (well if you're from continental Europe)..... all comes down to the tyres.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline kelvyn29

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 12 December 2017, 12:33 »
Could have been an R Line spec  :wink:

Offline wigit

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 12 December 2017, 13:11 »
I think it is because a number think the throttle is either on of off and do not realise there is an in between.

Case in point is there are a number who have traded theirs for M2s and are scared to drive them in the wet as they have not mastered the in between (ironic as its actually the better car in the wet)

Winters on the wagon and fine, sit there with the heated seats on waiting for the wheel spinners to come to a halt and reverse

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 12 December 2017, 13:42 »
Could have been an R Line spec  :wink:

I can tell the difference. :wink:
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 12 December 2017, 13:47 »
If there’d been any snow lasted long enough to drive it in, I’d tell you, but the smattering we had on Sun was melted within an hour of falling. 
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 12 December 2017, 13:51 »
Mine has been great the last 2 days, today being the toughest test. I put in eco, and we've had a fair bit of snow here that is -8C hard as a rock and compacted. LIve in an ungritted village lane!!!!!! I have a steepish driveway that our other GTI just cannot handle. The R can have a little front wheel spin but not had all 4 give way yet. My first awd and love it, in the past I would never have done the trips of the last 2 days.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 12 December 2017, 14:17 »
Mine has been great the last 2 days, today being the toughest test. I put in eco, and we've had a fair bit of snow here that is -8C hard as a rock and compacted. LIve in an ungritted village lane!!!!!! I have a steepish driveway that our other GTI just cannot handle. The R can have a little front wheel spin but not had all 4 give way yet. My first awd and love it, in the past I would never have done the trips of the last 2 days.

Road has thawed in last hour, couldn't walk on it this morning

Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #8 on: 12 December 2017, 15:33 »
Please be careful. One of the problems with 4WD is that it gives a false sense of security in slippy conditions.

Of course having 4 driven wheels will give better forward movement than 2WD. However, as said above, grip comes from your tyres. 4 wheel drive gives little extra help when cornering and no help when braking - for that you need better grip. If safety is your main priority, then winter tyres are by far the best option for these conditions.

My dad admits that his old Land Rover is crap in proper winter conditions. That's because he fits Cheapo ditch finder tyres. It's all about the tyres.

I would love to see what the VAQ diff and PS4 tyres would be like on snow. However, our A3 has 4 winter tyres so my car has not moved since the snow started. Why would I risk it when I don't have to!

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #9 on: 12 December 2017, 15:46 »
If you drive any car with summer tyres in snow it will be sh!t.
I've overtaken a number of 4x4s in the last few days with my GTD on winter tyres.

^^^this!

You see muppets in Landrovers etc getting stuck all over the place even because they only have summer road tyres. They get stuck in fields all the time too, not realising they need off road tyres if their chelsea tractor is going somewhere other than on the school run!

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC