Author Topic: Review of technology in our car!  (Read 5766 times)

Offline Iwanejko

• Just got here
Re: Review of technology in our car!
« Reply #20 on: 07 December 2017, 13:18 »
Never realised the ACC works in stop/start traffic. When I activate it and choose the speed it only drops down to 20mph.

I absolutely love the ACC, i will not be able to buy another car without it......

for traffic, It depends whether you have DSG or Manual, in DSG you can effectively drive the car without using the pedals (gets a bit hairy at roundabouts though  :laugh:) as it will bring you to a complete stop - it will show a minimum speed of 20mph but it ignores it.

it can be jerky and reacts a little weirdly to cars turning out of its radar sight, but i hope any software improvement in 7.5 onwards, would improve.

Cheers
Rich

Current: MKVII GTI DSG 5Dr (220) - Tornado Red
Gone:    MKVI GT TSI MAN 5Dr (160) -  Shadow Blue
Gone:    MKV  GT TDI MAN 5Dr (140) - Electric? Blue

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 07 December 2017, 14:26 »
And if you have TJA you don’t even have to steer the car under 20 mph (ok you have to press resume/accelerator pedal if stopped for more than 3 seconds), takes a lot of strain out of traffic jams, don’t think ive shouted at the car in front in the new car

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #22 on: 07 December 2017, 14:47 »
Does TJA follow the car and not the white lines? It comes part of lane assist, so presumably uses the camera?

And can it work without lane assist active?

Its something I'd consider specing next time, but the information available is vague at best and the only reliable way of discovering what these options is is by using this forum to ask someone with it already!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 07 December 2017, 17:10 »
It follows the speed of the car in front and the lanes for side to side, you have to have Active Lane Guidence set in the mib,

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #24 on: 07 December 2017, 18:15 »
So only useful in traffic jams with road markings and definitely no use in motorway road works when you cross over lane markings in contraflow...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 07 December 2017, 19:21 »
I have used it in contaflow, and it picks up the road the same as at over 20mph, and strangely picked up the road when I was close to the car in front, and again if the road has a sharp bend in it you have to take up steering

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #26 on: 08 December 2017, 09:39 »
I read all the restrictions for Traffic Jam Assist and decided to change it for Dynaudio. :undecided: I don't often have to sit in traffic jams. It has just occurred to me - traffic jams are probably where Dynaudio works best too. So I didn't really need it either. :rolleyes:

I love having ACC. Our A3 has it so I already had some experience. The Mk7.5 ACC has improved. It just makes driving more relaxing.

I'm still not sure about the dynamic light assist. When it works the lights are fantastic and really help with visibility. Though they do seem to have a mind of their own. Every journey I'm sitting wondering 'why are the lights doing/not doing that!' They appear to work best on A roads. However, they are just an 'assist' technology. On twisty rural roads I often find it best to operate the lights manually to avoid blinding other drivers.

I'm getting used to lane assist. It does have it's quirks too. Can't say that I like or dislike it.

Stop/start is a complete pain in the **** and potentially dangerous. I've had the engine shut down and steering go heavy when rolling up to 'give way' signs = bloody dangerous! 'Looks there's a gap! Oh f**k the car's shut itself down!' It gets switched off when I remember.

DCC - it's probably a combination of new chassis and new DCC, but the car is definitely more comfortable than my Mk6 with DCC. Though changing the OEM tyres made a noticeable difference too. However, it still retains that performance feel that our Audi does not have. Though to be fair the Audi has standard suspension and 16inch tyres and is a lot more comfortable on our bumpy country roads.

Reversing camera - it really comes into it's own at this time of year. Wouldn't buy a car without it. SWMBO didn't want it on her A3 and I hate having to reverse it in the dark. Though I know the parking sensors should pick up anything I can't see.

Love the progressive steering.
Still don't like the look of the Active Info Display. :sad:
Like the SatNav.

All-in-all a mixed bag really. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 08 December 2017, 10:23 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 08 December 2017, 09:48 »
Well the dealer said it hasn’t got TJA and it wasn’t on the spec sheet, but it did come with it so it’s cool coz it’s free 😃
My car also has dynoaudio, so all good there too,