Author Topic: V1 Wheels - experience?  (Read 8317 times)

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
Re: V1 Wheels - experience?
« Reply #20 on: 06 December 2017, 21:41 »
Then that leaves the wheels I very nearly did buy which are the Borbet FF1.
Flow formed in 18" which makes them light and affordable.
Forged in 19" which makes them hideously expensive.

And black.

I have seen those also and it's exactly for the reasons that you mention that I ruled those out as well. If the price didn't jump at 19" they would have been my choice, very nice looking wheel. We do seem to have a similar wheel taste  :wink:

I really like them, works well on that colour combo at least!

I recently put a set of Momo Revenge on my GTI in 19", they're not lightweight (about the same as Santiagos though) but have a look at BBS SR which I think look close to Prets in silver, there's also Novus 1 and Riva BNZ to consider....

Yes I've seen several wheels looking similar to the BBS SR (Novus 01. being a very similar one), featuring the 5 Y-spokes, but it's not exactly the Pretoria design and I'll take the opportunity to explain why: The critical parameter is the angle and location of the V part on the Y spoke. Almost every 5 Y spoke wheel looks like the SR as in that it has the V part of the Y starting at the middle or even towards the end of the spoke and/or with a large angle ( >45 deg). That is exactly where Pretorias have taken a different path. The V part starts right at the center hub and the angle is much lower than 45, roughly 30deg I'd say. The V1's here are also at the limit of deviating too much but just manage to save it in the end (at least in my eyes). In this regard, the wheel that looked closer than any other aftermarket to Prets was the AEZ Raise as mentioned by Exonian but no black option which killed them right from the start and at 13,4kg I would consider it a crime to put them on any performance car :tongue:
« Last Edit: 06 December 2017, 21:44 by scanesare »

Offline Wide

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 07 December 2017, 06:05 »
Nice car!!  :laugh:..

Looks like mine!, but lower?, and some new rear spoiler?..

Think the wheels look great!.  :smiley:. But you can get a lot of 19" quality wheels for around 800Euro ...i think.. :smiley:

No idea as not mine obviously but definitely looks lowered and with an aftermarket spoiler (which I don't like to be honest, Clubsport spoiler or nothing  :tongue:)

I haven't found a single wheel looking close to OEM Pretorias and not being ultra heavy at 800 euros, and I doubt there would be any quality differences between any wheel at this price range and these ones. They seem to go through several quality controls:

"In order to ensure the quality of our production, our own TÜV-approved quality management team is always at site and monitors every process step. The production sites themselves are also TÜV-approved and include a test laboratory with all TÜV-relevant test machines and a variety of analyzing and control stations like for example X-ray, density and imbalance inspection."

But please suggest some if you know of any, I may change my mind if I see other interesting options.

Read a little bit to fast ;).

You have the same problem as me. The Pretoria was a 5000Euro option!!!!!, when i bought my new GTI this year..

The best i colud find was the Alutec Ikenu  :wink:
My Youtube Channel ** MK8 R and MK7.5 GTI PP**
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOQb17Kro9L-iuT91cKxsjA
And My INSTAGRAM FaceliftGT
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKNpaNHog_/

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #22 on: 07 December 2017, 09:01 »

You have the same problem as me. The Pretoria was a 5000Euro option!!!!!, when i bought my new GTI this year..

But 19" Pretorias are not even an option on the GTI are they? Unless you mean ordering them through the dealer as a separate VW item, 5,000eur is a joke anyway. On the Clubsport the Pretorias were a 30,000kr option but that included DCC that alone costed 8700 kr and then you got Michelin PSC2 that also cost another ~8,000 kr. in tire shops. So in the end their price was more like 18,000 kr if you deducted the rubber, which remains significant but easier to swallow when added to the total cost of a new car, buying separately not so much. Still, if these wheels prove to be good, I'll be just as happy I think. The more I look at their pictures the more I like them. And with the same center bore and VW cap compatibility they will offer this OEM+ look I'm after.

Offline Hebegeebee

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 07 December 2017, 10:24 »
Another option for an OEM look (using standard wheel bolts & centre caps) but not a Pretoria lookalike would be the VWR cup edition wheels or their TD parent wheels which offer more colours and at cheaper prices. Some on here have them and IMO they look very good although I've yet to see them on a 7.5.
Picked up 03/Nov/2017 - GTi-P, White silver, 5dr., Manual with extras

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #24 on: 07 December 2017, 10:42 »
Forgot to mention dimensions. The plan is to go from current 18x7.5 ET49 with 225/40/18 Potenzas to 19x8.5 ET45 with 235/35/R19 PS4S (there is no 19x8.0 option anyway). I think the combination of the extra 10mm of tread and the stickier rubber will make for a big improvement rather appreciated on any powerful FWD. I could already spin the Potenzas on stock power levels so I can definitely find a use for the extra grip with the JB4 on.

In terms of suspension I think there are benefits to be had also by going for that size. The new tire/wheel combo brings the wheels 16.7mm further out from the struts so essentially it's like getting "free" 15mm spacers. I find the current Belvedere wheel to be a bit lost inside the arches when l look from the side but I am not a fun of actual spacers so there's two birds with one shot. Maybe even three, as although I don't think the car really needs any lowering, there is going to be a 5mm arch gap reduction which should look cool and at the same time I win some extra "forgiveness" as the overall ride height goes up 5mm, not bad at all.

Offline Wide

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 07 December 2017, 10:53 »

But 19" Pretorias are not even an option on the GTI are they? Unless you mean ordering them through the dealer as a separate VW item, 5,000eur is a joke anyway. On the Clubsport the Pretorias were a 30,000kr option but that included DCC that alone costed 8700 kr and then you got Michelin PSC2 that also cost another ~8,000 kr. in tire shops. So in the end their price was more like 18,000 kr if you deducted the rubber, which remains significant but easier to swallow when added to the total cost of a new car, buying separately not so much. Still, if these wheels prove to be good, I'll be just as happy I think. The more I look at their pictures the more I like them. And with the same center bore and VW cap compatibility they will offer this OEM+ look I'm after.

No it not a option. But you could order them as "aftermarket Option" at VW. So 5000Euro with tire... :grin: :grin:

I tried to get them as a option like on the R, but that was impossible even when i talked to VW headoffice.. :angry: :smiley:
My Youtube Channel ** MK8 R and MK7.5 GTI PP**
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOQb17Kro9L-iuT91cKxsjA
And My INSTAGRAM FaceliftGT
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKNpaNHog_/

Offline monsta

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 08 December 2017, 10:38 »
Another option for an OEM look (using standard wheel bolts & centre caps) but not a Pretoria lookalike would be the VWR cup edition wheels or their TD parent wheels which offer more colours and at cheaper prices. Some on here have them and IMO they look very good although I've yet to see them on a 7.5.

Yeah OEM look is key, on my Momo wheels the standard caps didn't fit though.  Took a bit of measuring but found some alternatives on the internet, we'll see how they last. I suspect they'll tarnish during the winter!

Offline scanesare

• I live here
  • GTI Clubsport
« Reply #27 on: 08 December 2017, 10:57 »

I agree those look good and they are lightweight and not hugely expensive (between 1100 and 1300 iirc). A good candidate if you don't have the "black Pret" bug like I do...