Author Topic: Fuel Consumption - 20MPG ???!!! on 7.5  (Read 5931 times)

Offline davyk31

• I live here
Re: Fuel Consumption - 20MPG ???!!! on 7.5
« Reply #30 on: 07 December 2017, 17:20 »
My Gti is a much nicer car than my previous GTD except in consumption. The GTD easily did over 50mpg even with enthusiastic driving. One of my best trips was a 60 mile drive to airport, 4 passengers and all luggage for a family holiday so the car was not light. Wasn't in any hurry so cruised about 55mpg, trip returned 65 mpg. The Gti might be lucky to get half that which is quite surprising given they are essentially the same car albeit different engine technologies. Wouldn't go back though.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 07 December 2017, 18:03 »
My Gti is a much nicer car than my previous GTD except in consumption. The GTD easily did over 50mpg even with enthusiastic driving. One of my best trips was a 60 mile drive to airport, 4 passengers and all luggage for a family holiday so the car was not light. Wasn't in any hurry so cruised about 55mpg, trip returned 65 mpg. The Gti might be lucky to get half that which is quite surprising given they are essentially the same car albeit different engine technologies. Wouldn't go back though.

You might be pleasently surprised then as to what a GTI can do. On a long gentle run I can get over 50mpg. Last year four of us (adults) went for a 5 day trip to Cornwall in November driving in a non-economy minded manner and averaged over 38. Currently 500 miles in to a 630+ round trip (London to Blackpool, Yorkshire, Norfolk then home) and averaging over 40mpg. Often get 45+ on long journeys so never going to be as good as a GTD obviously but I'm extremely happy :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #32 on: 07 December 2017, 18:19 »
And that is pretty incredible.

I might add conversely that my gtd in heavy city traffic for a day won't do 30mpg. Same if I just drive a few miles to my sister at the weekend.

It's more about driving style, temperature traffic conditions and overall journey distance than anything else.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Alun

• Not said much yet
« Reply #33 on: 07 December 2017, 18:23 »
I've had my gti pp dsg 5 door for 3 weeks and am averaging 28mpg. In fairness when one considers mostly local town driving, winter time, new car and getting acquainted with car, for the type of car it is I think is what can be expected. I travelled on dual carriageway road for about 27 miles to a retail park and recorded 37mpg. On the way home I recorded 40mpg. Come spring time and when the engine is not so tight I will be looking forward to an improvement in the mpg. I've only covered 300 miles in car so far. It's a brilliant car. My previous car was an audi A4 2.0 tfsi 208 bhp where I recorded an average of 38.1mpg. I would expect similar in my gti in time to come

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 07 December 2017, 19:03 »
It's more about driving style, temperature traffic conditions and overall journey distance than anything else.

Exactly.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.