Author Topic: Still got no idea which tyres?!?  (Read 11377 times)

Offline clubsport

• I live here
Re: Still got no idea which tyres?!?
« Reply #30 on: 18 October 2017, 23:04 »
I fitted a pair of 18" PS4 on the rear today. I will report back when I have driven a little further on them.
So far they seem ok and look good with a hint of rim protection.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 19 October 2017, 06:31 »
Why does everyone bad mouth these Bridgestone!? I've driven on way worse!!!

Why.... Because they are crap! They were crap back in 2011. They came 8th of out 10 in a tyre test on the GTI in 2011

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tyre-guides/36695/tyre-test-2011

They would be fine for an SE model but not the GTI. I'm dreading the temperature dropping as they are already struggling for traction unless you drive like Miss Daisy.
So are you saying you'd drive the same in every road condition if you had a "better" tyre? You drive to the road conditions in front of you so if that means take your time or 'drive like miss daisy" then that's what you do.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #32 on: 19 October 2017, 19:41 »
So are you saying you'd drive the same in every road condition if you had a "better" tyre? You drive to the road conditions in front of you so if that means take your time or 'drive like miss daisy" then that's what you do.
With good tyres fitted to my car - I do drive the same in most conditions.

As someone else pointed out to you before - The problem with Bridgestone tyres is the difference between their performance in warm weather and their poor performance in cold wet weather. A good tyre will perform almost the same in most conditions.

In the winter - you don't have to be going fast at all on Bridgestone tyres to experience wheel spin, ABS and understeer. Not things I want my performance Golf to be doing! I want tyres I have confidence in.

Obviously I drive a lot more cautiously in extreme weather conditions - even with winter tyres fitted.
« Last Edit: 19 October 2017, 19:43 by Daz Auto »

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #33 on: 19 October 2017, 20:12 »
I've never had wheelspin, and lights or anything in mine and I don't drive like miss daisy either.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 20 October 2017, 12:44 »
Why does everyone bad mouth these Bridgestone!? I've driven on way worse!!!

Why.... Because they are crap! They were crap back in 2011. They came 8th of out 10 in a tyre test on the GTI in 2011

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tyre-guides/36695/tyre-test-2011

They would be fine for an SE model but not the GTI. I'm dreading the temperature dropping as they are already struggling for traction unless you drive like Miss Daisy.

No, I don't remember saying anything like that, maybe re-read my comment. The Bridgestone S001's are a crap old tyre, crap back in 2011 and made to look even crapper now by the likes of the Michelin PS4. It's not just the views of people who own the car that's why I posted the test results (from 2011!!). Wet performance is crap. Better tyres mean better grip. It's not exactly rocket science.  :rolleyes:

If you've never had any wheelspin or TC lights then well done you. You probably get 50 mpg as well.  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #35 on: 20 October 2017, 17:55 »
No nowhere near 50!! Maybe I'm just a better driver than others and can manage a so called inferior tyre without using a lead right foot and wheel spinning. I don't care what tyres you have but you adjust your driving style to suit the road conditions and not drive the same in all conditions. You must be one of these loonys who drives like an idiot in rain, hail and snow and thinks it's great. Anyway as I've said the Bridgestones are not the best tyre but certainly not worth chucking for new ones immediately.

Offline Daz Auto

• I live here
  • Other brands of washing powder are available.
« Reply #36 on: 20 October 2017, 21:07 »
If you've never had any wheelspin or TC lights then well done you. You probably get 50 mpg as well.  :grin:
:grin:

Maybe I'm just a better driver than others and can manage a so called inferior tyre without using a lead right foot and wheel spinning. I don't care what tyres you have but you adjust your driving style to suit the road conditions and not drive the same in all conditions.

Anyway as I've said the Bridgestones are not the best tyre but certainly not worth chucking for new ones immediately.
So... You adjust your driving to the 'poor' conditions. While other people like me think - these tyres are 'poor', buy good tyres, and just drive their cars. (excepting extreme weather conditions obviously).

My dad always thought this 4x4 was 'poor' in the winter because he always bought the cheapest tyres. :rolleyes:

As I explained to you before - I replaced my tyres because I'm not prepared to slide around on Bridgestone tyres for 2/3 years in a brand new performance car. Just like a mod - I replaced my tyres to improve the performance of my performance car.

10/8/2017 - GTI Performance, Red,5dr DS

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 20 October 2017, 21:44 »
Just about to put a set of MPS4 tyres at 235/40/18 on my 400bhp Cupra.

The MPS4 225/45/17 tyres are great, so a little wider should help when the power gets upped to 460-470bhp.
Here's keeping the fingers crossed that next year the MPS4S tyres come in 245/40/18!
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 20 October 2017, 23:20 »
No nowhere near 50!! Maybe I'm just a better driver than others and can manage a so called inferior tyre without using a lead right foot and wheel spinning. I don't care what tyres you have but you adjust your driving style to suit the road conditions and not drive the same in all conditions. You must be one of these loonys who drives like an idiot in rain, hail and snow and thinks it's great. Anyway as I've said the Bridgestones are not the best tyre but certainly not worth chucking for new ones immediately.

Jesus, making a lot of assumptions there about my driving! Shall I send you my dashcam footage?!

Maybe I'm just a better driver.. yes ok Lewis, chill yourself out...! At least you could qualify for moronic forum post of 2017  :wink:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #39 on: 20 October 2017, 23:25 »
:grin:

Maybe I'm just a better driver than others and can manage a so called inferior tyre without using a lead right foot and wheel spinning. I don't care what tyres you have but you adjust your driving style to suit the road conditions and not drive the same in all conditions.

Anyway as I've said the Bridgestones are not the best tyre but certainly not worth chucking for new ones immediately.
So... You adjust your driving to the 'poor' conditions. While other people like me think - these tyres are 'poor', buy good tyres, and just drive their cars. (excepting extreme weather conditions obviously).

My dad always thought this 4x4 was 'poor' in the winter because he always bought the cheapest tyres. :rolleyes:

As I explained to you before - I replaced my tyres because I'm not prepared to slide around on Bridgestone tyres for 2/3 years in a brand new performance car. Just like a mod - I replaced my tyres to improve the performance of my performance car.

Agreed, unfortunately some people seem happy that a performance hatch in 2017 is fitted with tyres that are some of the worst available.
NOW - 330e M Sport