Author Topic: From Polo Blue GT - Mk7.5 Golf GTD  (Read 5244 times)

Offline Arran

• Not said much yet
From Polo Blue GT - Mk7.5 Golf GTD
« on: 11 October 2017, 05:21 »
Hello all.

I hope I have posted this thread in the correct place but I would very much appreciate your views on the following.

I’m very close to swapping my Polo Blue GT in for a manual Mk7.5 GTD 5 door in white silver. The car I am looking at is a pre-reg registered in June 2017 with 6 miles on the clock from a VW dealer.

The deal on offer is part exchanging my car and just under £14,322 to change and includes Lifeshine (is this any good?) mats, service pack and a full tank of fuel. I’m being offered near on the top money for my Polo (£9100).

I have never owned a diesel but having driven a Mk7.5 GTD (DSG) I really enjoyed the low down torque. I’m terms of insurance, tax and overal running costs they also seem to look very reasonable for the package on offer.

My concerns however is that I’m currently in between jobs and if my daily commute turns out to be minimal would having a diesel turn out to be a mistake? There also seems to be negative press around diesel cars currently therefore could this impact residual value?

Whilst I would love a GTI the cost to purchase the car is 3k more and overall running costs would be significantly more especially if I end up with a long commute to work.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Arran
« Last Edit: 11 October 2017, 05:22 by Arran »

Offline buddfridge

• Here all the time
Re: From Polo Blue GT - Mk7.5 Golf GTD
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2017, 07:18 »
Life is to short, if you are going to keep being employed and can afford the repayments then i personally would worry about buying a gtd, i have a gti currently but have had the gtd too and it was fantastic to drive. If i remember rightly i was getting about 45 mpg on average so if you can live with that, i may be incorrect but I was told that as long as your journey is at least 10 /15 mins long the gtd will be fine....hope this helps and good luck.
gti pp manual white 5 door

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2017, 07:21 »
What other extras does the car have? I wouldn't be allowing the dealership to apply the Lifeshine as the paintwork will more than likely be worse after. Mats are free as standard on a gtd anyway and I'd be checking to see if the service pack is free as part of the finance. Could turn out that 50 quid is all they are giving you in way of a tank of fuel.
I did 3 miles to work and back in a gtd and car was perfect from day 1.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Arran

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2017, 08:27 »
Life is to short, if you are going to keep being employed and can afford the repayments then i personally would worry about buying a gtd, i have a gti currently but have had the gtd too and it was fantastic to drive. If i remember rightly i was getting about 45 mpg on average so if you can live with that, i may be incorrect but I was told that as long as your journey is at least 10 /15 mins long the gtd will be fine....hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks for the advice.

:smiley:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2017, 08:55 »
If I was in between jobs, I wouldn't be looking to spend 14k on a car when I already had one that is fairly decent...

Just my advice from a straight talking, penny pinching Yorkshireman
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Arran

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2017, 09:43 »
If I was in between jobs, I wouldn't be looking to spend 14k on a car when I already had one that is fairly decent...

Thanks for the input, appreciate your thoughts.

Offline Arran

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2017, 09:48 »
What other extras does the car have? I wouldn't be allowing the dealership to apply the Lifeshine as the paintwork will more than likely be worse after. Mats are free as standard on a gtd anyway and I'd be checking to see if the service pack is free as part of the finance. Could turn out that 50 quid is all they are giving you in way of a tank of fuel.
I did 3 miles to work and back in a gtd and car was perfect from day 1.

The car is a standard 5 door GTD in white silver. My understanding is that most options are standard anyway on the GTD?

Having looked into the Lifeshine I agree that’s a no go on the paintwork. Although wouldn’t mind it on the interior and glass.

The the car is up at £23500. The dealer has said the service plan is on condition of the finance being utilised.

Offline ratty_uk2000

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2017, 10:25 »

Me neither.  And I'm a consumerist Londoner :smiley:
On order: 7.5 230 PS, 3 door, DSG.  Pearl black with heated screen, Dynaudio & reverse camera.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2017, 11:21 »
My wife is on her second Blue GT and it's an absolute hoot and great fun with a cracking engine. TBH, driven sensibly her MPG isn't a million miles away from my GTD.

I'd say keep the Polo.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 11 October 2017, 11:57 »

Me neither.  And I'm a consumerist Londoner :smiley:

Nor me; I’d keep the Polo for now, unless I absolutely needed a larger car right now. The Golf isn’t exactly a rare car, so there’ll always be a plentiful supply around to choose from if you wait until you’re no longer between jobs. When you’re back in work, you might then be able to get the GTI which is what you’ve said you’d love to have.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl