Author Topic: To do list?  (Read 2041 times)

Offline bangy1

• Just got here
To do list?
« on: 11 August 2017, 10:09 »
Hi Guys,

I have had a MK6 for around 3 months or so now and was just wondering if there are any preventative maintenance things I should be looking at doing as was the case with the MK5's (Diverter valve and PCV system)

Car is a late 2011 model so should be clear from any tensioner issues and has 32k miles on it with full dealer history, just looking to stay on top of things and avoid any nasty surprises down the road.

Cheers

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Re: To do list?
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2017, 19:14 »
Diverter valve and pcv systems can both still be issues on mk6 worth taking alook to make sure they are ok.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2017, 15:34 »
Hello and welcome!

As Snoopy said, both those items can fail on Mk6s. I had my PCV fail last year, but my car has considerably more mileage than yours (over 101K now).

Is yours DSG or manual? DSG gearboxes have a service interval of 40k miles which is worth remembering.

Intake manifold flap positions sensors can fail, and they are inbuilt to the manifold so needs the whole intake manifold changing if it does go, which mine has recently. This isn't something to look at preventatively as is obviously a big job and expensive part, just something to bear in mind.

Most of all just enjoy your new car  :smiley:

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline bangy1

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2017, 13:15 »
Hi there gents,

Thanks for the replies, it is a manual as wasn't a fan of my mates DSG R I drove plus the wife would probably drive through a hedge in an automatic.

Car seems to be boosting ok, are there any places you could recommend for getting parts?

The car had a new clutch in it just when I got it from VW as the release bearing was howling quite bad on test drive whilst cold so I made a noise and got it changed F.O.C before I picked the car up. When is first it seems a wee bit snatchy with biting point in that it is hard to gauge i.e. on or off no inbetween.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2017, 15:45 »
Welcome and enjoy :smiley:. My intake manifold went at about 35k and a year out of warranty. If yours does go (and I believe there was a design update at some point) it will probably just light up the EML initially. Got a new one from the USA - much cheaper - and had it fitted at an indie for 3 hours labour. Not had any clutch snatch issues with mine so worth keeping check on that and take it back if it gets worse. I do an oil and filter change every 6 months as trips tend to be short ones and use longlife 5W-30. Not had any PCV or diverter valve or tensioner issues. If it has a full VW history any repairs will be on their system and you will be able to get a printout of any work done at any VW dealership nationally as well as routine servicing over the life of the car.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2017, 16:06 »
The howling clutch is a known problem, a revised part would have been fitted.

Also, there have been some Internet reports that a failed PVC can impact the main seal bearing, so it might be worth getting the latest version.
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black

Offline bangy1

• Just got here
« Reply #6 on: 15 August 2017, 07:21 »
Thanks for the replies guys, yeah the clutch was the release bearing which sounded exactly like my old Civic type R when it went but as I was negotiating with the dealers the clutch was replaced before I took the car. As I bought from VW it is under their approved used warranty for another 9 months too and thanks for the advice on servicing I spoke to VW and it has been serviced at same dealers here on schedule with only consumables really such as brakes etc.

I have also been keeping a keen eye on the oil being an ex EP3 owner as I believe these can use a wee bit of oil? I have topped it up with 5W-40 Motul X-CESS 8100 as I have found this a good fully synthetic oil in the past and it meets the VW Spec. Is the best place to get most OE parts just from TPS?

I am going up with it to VW on Thu for the AC service so am taking the mechanic who fitted the clutch out a drive to get his thoughts