Author Topic: CAT D to buy or not to buy??  (Read 4158 times)

Offline Shell0779

• Just got here
CAT D to buy or not to buy??
« on: 12 April 2017, 08:57 »
I'm looking at a 06 MK5 golf gti that is being sold as a CAT D. The seller completed all necessary work himself and has all receipts to prove. He's drove it for 2 years since the damage was repaired and is now selling it on.
Here is a list of the work that was carried out.
Track rod end
Wishbone + ball joint
Wing
Driveshaft
Shock Absorber & Spring
Side skirt & wheelarch cover.

He has also supplied us with pictures of the damage and to be honest it is only the near side right wing that looked bad.
It's a 56 plate golf 2.0TFSI GTI. 73k on the clock with full VW service History. It's had a new MOT (January 2017) on with no advisories. Also had the cam belt and water pump changed, supplied and fitted by VW. Also reciepts to prove.
To be honest he has a folder full of receipts. He's even kept all his fuel receipts.
The only issue is the air bag light comes on and off when the drivers seat is moved forwards or backwards but this can be turned off. It's a wiring issue.
It has every conceivable extra going and is exactly what we are looking for as our next car.
Is it worth buying a CAT D in this condition. Any advise for anyone that may have purchased a CAT D in the past.
I look forward to your replies.
Thank you.

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
Re: CAT D to buy or not to buy??
« Reply #1 on: 12 April 2017, 09:44 »
Wouldn't put me off from what you've described.  Sounds a little bit unlucky to have been a Cat D (and in all honesty, a good number of cars after 12 years on the road will have had some sort of paint/repair at one point or another).
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline Shell0779

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2017, 09:57 »
Hi Brett thank you for your reply. We are definitely swaying more to saying yes than turning it down.
My first car was a gti and after having kids we drove more sensible cars. Now they're  older we're wanting to go back to something more fun to drive.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2017, 16:04 »
The fact he has photos and receipts of all the work done would certainly put my mind at rest and shows that owner cared for the car  :smiley:

just watch when trying to get insurance as it will have an effect and could be costly to insure. The fact you have the paperwork may help smooth things  :smiley:

The airbag light could be due to a faulty loom under the seat. I would suspect such a loom to be about £30-£50

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2017, 18:19 »
I wouldn't touch it due to there being plenty of them about and they are cheap now  :smiley: a cat d will be harder to insure from some companies and come time to sell it will always put most people off when they hear cat d

Offline harryeaitch

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2017, 20:38 »
Have recently had the misfortune to have one excellent condition mK5 Gti cat C'd after a deer hit the LHS. Slight damage to the A pillar is the only reason as there was no other chassis damage. Our ace local repair guy has said it is easily fixable and after replacing all the damaged body parts myself it will be going for repair. I think if you have a good photo record of the before repair damage and keep all relevant paperwork a well repaired cat C or D can be a good buy. The old adage 'Let the buyer beware' holds good here.