Author Topic: buying a GTD how high is high mileage  (Read 13796 times)

Offline tombraider

• Just got here
buying a GTD how high is high mileage
« on: 05 January 2017, 23:02 »
Looking to get myself a GTD, looks like a 2013 or 2014 plate at a push.
Going to be doing 300 a week motorways to work plus whatever I put on at a weekends so going to be adding at lease 20k a year and looking to keep it at least 3 years.
Do I get something with say 60-70k on the clock already and run up a further 60-70k or I am better off getting a  30-40k model, paying at bit extra but at 6 years old it still may come in under 100k

whatever i do the car is not going to be low mileage so is it really worth paying the extra?
Am I asking for problems and expense in say year 3 once I hit 100k?

Thanks

Offline brettblade

• Here all the time
Re: buying a GTD how high is high mileage
« Reply #1 on: 06 January 2017, 08:42 »
100k isn't a magical number, except in some people's perceptions.  Buy the best looked after car that your budget can push to, irrelevant of the mileage.  I've run several cars well past 100k, with correct maintenance and the right attitude to car care it's just a number on the dash.
Orded 04/06/2016
Build W/C 01/08/2016
Handover 01/09/2016
GTI PP, CSG, Tech pack, parking pack, 90% tints, DCC, 19" Santiago alloys
Soon to be gone!

7.5R Indium Grey, 19” Spielbergs expected 01/03/2019.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 06 January 2017, 09:51 »
For it to be worth more at sale time you'd have spent more at purchase so really I'd echo what brettblade said but add for you to get the right car spec wise. No matter what you do you're going to spend a big pile of cash so you might as well enjoy the car!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #3 on: 06 January 2017, 11:26 »
Similar place to me tombraider!

My theory: 14k to buy a second hand 3 year Mk7 GTD with 40k miles on it.

Add 3 years and 60k to it, its 100k and 6 years old, probably worth £3k privately?

11k for three years use.

If you got one that was say 20k already, it would be 80k at the end, maybe worth 4k? But it would cost you more like 18k to purchase.

Best bet - buy a new one on PCP, get all the advantages of having a new car with a warranty (no nasty shocks) and do all of that for 12k over 3 years and be left with either a cheap car to buy (10k) or a deposit for another.

This is based on my actual calculations for me!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 06 January 2017, 17:13 »
100k isn't a magical number, except in some people's perceptions.  Buy the best looked after car that your budget can push to, irrelevant of the mileage.  I've run several cars well past 100k, with correct maintenance and the right attitude to car care it's just a number on the dash.

Agree that 100K isn't a magic number, at least where the engine is concerned. If I were to be looking at a car of that age I'd be taking a close look at the maintenance history. Not just regular servicing, although this is important. I'd be looking for a clutch change on a manual car (or be budgeting for it), I'd be taking a close look at the suspension bushes, checking whether I'm in for a timing belt change, I'd be listening for wheel bearing noises, the list goes on...

I'm not saying don't do it, just go in with open eyes, check the prospective purchase thoroughly and a car with > 100K miles can be a good purchase. Some years ago I drove a well maintained 996 Carrera 4S Coupe with over 200K, it felt almost as good as the 60K cherished Carrera 4S Cab I had at the time... but the guy had spent money on it, rebushing the suspension, new clutch, new rads & air con condensors, new dampers and so on but original engine and gearbox... mind you my I'd spent plenty maintaining my 4S too  :smiley:

The thing is to find an example of what you're looking for that's been looked after...

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2017, 18:01 »
I think that a 6 year old diesel Golf, even with 100+K miles would be worth much more than £3000. Meaning if you bought a £14k 3 year old car now, it would cost you much less than the three year PCP payments on a new one.

Also the thing with PCP is at the end of the term, you HAVE to make a decision about whether to find a considerable amount of money to keep it, or roll over the deal for another 3 years of debt. Buy a used one and if you are still happy with the car after 3 years, just keep it regardless of mileage and value, it will be all yours.

Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2017, 18:26 »
I think that a 6 year old diesel Golf, even with 100+K miles would be worth much more than £3000. Meaning if you bought a £14k 3 year old car now, it would cost you much less than the three year PCP payments on a new one.

Also the thing with PCP is at the end of the term, you HAVE to make a decision about whether to find a considerable amount of money to keep it, or roll over the deal for another 3 years of debt. Buy a used one and if you are still happy with the car after 3 years, just keep it regardless of mileage and value, it will be all yours.

It will be worth about £5500. When my Dad got his MK7 GTD in July 2013, he was chopping in a Dec 2006 MK5 Golf GT TDI 170 PD DSG with 124k miles on the clock. The dealership didn't really want it and gave him bottom book - which was £4600. He did get new injectors free under recall remedial works at about 110k miles and he really noticed the difference when they were fitted, so stuff like the injectors can deteriorate noticeably. He'd had no bother with it under warranty. One of my sisters is still running his previous Golf - a MK4 Golf GT TDI 130 PD DSG (a Maltese import from Carshock, they never did that engine with DSG in a hatch for the UK market), he sold it to her for next to nowt when he got the MK5 and that had over 130k miles on it when she got it. It has about 190k miles on it now and still going strong.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline tombraider

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2017, 14:16 »
thanks for the comments guys.
Think I will buy outright rather than lease option but is a good point.
a bit less mileage focused now in my search

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 11 January 2017, 14:42 »
What sort of prices are you seeing for a 3 year old out of interest (I guess I am too lazy to look!). Last time i searched for one the prices were stupid high.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline carlt69

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2017, 21:06 »
I've always gone for the lowest mileage, newest car I  can afford, Good Luck  :smiley:
MK8 GTi in Moonstone Grey