Author Topic: GTD Spec query  (Read 11998 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: GTD Spec query
« Reply #10 on: 14 November 2016, 08:55 »
You can (and I do) get a full sized wheelchair into the boot of a Golf hatch - although you have to drop the big half of the rear seats to do it - its about a couple of inches short of fitting without.

That's ok if its only from time to time (like it is for me) but would be a pain if that was every day.

I think I've realised the one good reason for a GTD estate :)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Pinky1959

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 14 November 2016, 10:52 »
My wife had an astra sri and we changed to a Golf GTD ( Mk 6 ) and the VW is way better than the Astra in every way , more comfortable better handling , better mpg etc etc .
You will love the GTD when you get a drive in one .
Good luck and ask for an extended test drive for the day .

Offline asm1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 01 January 2017, 23:50 »

Been driving around in this with a stupid grin since 25th Nov. I too went for the parking pack.  The Park assist and rear camera are a godsend.  The Adaptive cruise is wonderful too.  Sport Mode is fun but it can be a bit too eager with the up and down shifts sometimes but I like some of the aspects, must set up an individual profile.

Wheelchair wise - I too am only an occasional user and mine is dead easy to fold up and remove arms and foot plates.  I usually only have it out when I have someone to push me anyway  :grin:

The astra was a nice car, this is on a different planet.

I did, rather embarrasingly not realise the CD player was in the glovebox so after about two weeks I went back to the dealer and queried.... but that was only after I had bought a cd for the first time in 5 years lol. "We get this a lot" was the audio technician's response as he showed me.  Ironically after I had the SD card out the nav and back in for the November map update.

It is deceptively quick overtaking - effortless mid-range thump.  Try not to clog too hard before the oil has warmed up, otherwise I drive it reasonably gently but not like a nun either and I already get more on my third tank of fuel between fills than I did with the Astra at 20000 miles and 5 years. 

If not in "Sport mode" (extra rumble) it is also scarily easy to make the world go backwards in your rear-view mirror a lot quicker than you realise. :rolleyes:  I use the cruise a lot *cough*.

Got my phone paired but noticed album art doesnt come through on Bluetooth Audio, but it does fine when the Phone is plugged in via usb.  I am on a Galaxy S7 Edge with the standard phone connection package.

I have also registered and set up carnet but have no Idea how to make it work properly, I have 3 buttons in the app and thats it....

Also noticed that the wing mirror "look down" is not working when selecting reverse.  It is ticked in the options menu, and the 3Door GTD I test drove had it working so I guess thats a calibration thing...

General Observations after 5 weeks...

Smaller, prettier, lighter, quicker and easier to manoevre than the Astra.  Only downside is that I seem to attract the attention of numpties who think it is fun to try and goad me on M/ways and dual carriageways.  this was never an issue in the Astra.

I have bought a dashcam, This was a wise choice. 
Cut up by a lorry coming off a roundabout into a 50 dual carriage way average speed zone. I get to 50 quicker than him and pull in quite a way in front.  He closes the gap to about 10 feet and sits on my bottom to try and barge me out of the way, then overtakes me, slowly (I maintain 50).  I stayed with the cruise on minding my own business and catch him at the end of the 50 a few miles up the road where it opens up to a 70 de-restricted where he seems to be trying to overtake the world at 60 MPH.

Then theres the BMW drivers who zoom up behind you on the dual carriageway and sulkily sit an inch from your boot, so you move to the inside and even slow down to let them overtake. But they dont, they pull in behind you and still remain surgically attatched.  So you lower your speed a bit more, 65- 60-55 bmw matches you.  The carriageway straightens and there are no cars around I'm still doing 55-60 in a 70 with this idiot on my tail in the inside (left) lane.  By this point I'd had 10 minutes of this crap and was getting v-fed up, so I reached for the - paddle on the wheel and stretched my right leg a bit :whistle:.  He went rapidly backwards and I popped the cruise on at 70.  A mile later he is doing much more than that in the outside lane and zooming off into the distance.  *shrugs*     

Anyway, as you can tell I think my new car is awful :wink: :grin:  I hate driving it so much I ticked over the 1000 mile mark on my way home after Christmas/New Year down at my parents. :grin:

« Last Edit: 01 January 2017, 23:59 by asm1 »

Offline TwoSheds

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 02 January 2017, 08:41 »
Passenger mirror 'look down' not working.

Have you checked the mirror position control knob on the door is set to L, as well, in order for it to work.

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 02 January 2017, 10:06 »
An "Astra"....yuk! you'll be a lot happier now!
« Last Edit: 02 January 2017, 10:10 by golfhappy »
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline phope

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 02 January 2017, 15:31 »
Looks very nice - enjoy  :smiley:
Golf Mk8 R order cancelled...awaiting company car instead
Tiguan 1.5 Elegance for the wife & dogs
Skoda 1.5 SEL cheap lease special

Offline asm1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 03 January 2017, 00:44 »
Passenger mirror 'look down' not working.

Have you checked the mirror position control knob on the door is set to L, as well, in order for it to work.

Yes - Neither mirror drops in reverse (with mirror control knob in L or R mode) but the setting is on in the menus.

An "Astra"....yuk! you'll be a lot happier now!

I am, but it wasnt all bad  :laugh:

Looks very nice - enjoy  :smiley:

It is and thank you  :smiley:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 03 January 2017, 10:00 »
You need to set up the mirror down on reverse, it doesn't just automatically work.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline dfsGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 03 January 2017, 22:01 »
If you are grinning now wait until a nice dry day next summer and head out to the west coast. Some nice quiet twisty roads and find out how good the GTD's roadholding is. It feels totally at home there. If that doesn't get a smile on your face nothing will. Just watch the speedo your going a lot faster than you think.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 03 January 2017, 22:40 »
As Mcmaddy said, with the mirror in the "L" position and the gearbox in reverse, adjust the mirror manually to how you want it when reversing.

When you go forward over 5mph it will return to its previous position, but it will then move back to how you set it up every time you then select reverse (with the mirror still in the L position).

That's all there is to it.
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras