Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 529467 times)

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1250 on: 10 July 2017, 11:52 »
stunning as usual ....great pics too.. :wink:

Cheers hepton.  :smiley:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1251 on: 10 July 2017, 11:54 »

Hi Booth11, your car looks amazing! Which pre wash snow foam do you use first?

Hi, I use ValetPro Advanced Neutral Snow Foam.  http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1087

It's very very effective stuff and is a little less shaving foamy than some which means it clings long enough to encapsulate the dirt but then runs off properly taking the muck away with it. 

I also follow it with ValetPro Citrus Pre Wash which I use as a second phase pre-wash to further deep cleanse before letting loose with a bucket and mitt.  It means that much of the work is done in a 'touchless' method meaning much less work to do with a mitt and therefore reducing the risk of swirls at the mitt stage.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=728

Been using this 2-step pre wash approach for a few months now and have to say the car is the cleanest it's ever been and cleaner that any other car I've had.

With the PA lance I ended up winding the dilution adjustment all the way to end of minus marker (fully clockwise nozzle facing away from you) to get what I thought was an effective clingy foam?... had about 1.5" of Auto Finesse Avalanche solution in the bottle topped up with cool water. Not tried any other foams yet so I'll try tweaking things next time, possibly had it too thick.....took me half hour to jet the foam off the drive afterwards  :laugh:

I usually have the dilution knob fully closed or very slightly open but it can depend on all sorts. That's with VP Advanced snow foam which is by nature runnier than some.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1252 on: 10 July 2017, 11:57 »
While we're at it do people dry their wheels? I don't but I don't wash the car at home so the short spin home does the trick.

In this photo the car has covered about 50 miles so there is some dust on it.

You must dry your wheels, otherwise rust particles off the brake discs will get held in the moisture left on the wheels. This will cause reddish brown streaks inside the wheels.

Ah right, I'll start drying them in that case although I can't see anything on the inside of the wheels, they are shiny black.

Yep drying wheels is a must even if you use filtered water due to reasons Simon says. And if you don't use filtered water then you may well get water spots too.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #1253 on: 10 July 2017, 12:12 »
While we're at it do people dry their wheels? I don't but I don't wash the car at home so the short spin home does the trick.

You must dry your wheels, otherwise rust particles off the brake discs will get held in the moisture left on the wheels. This will cause reddish brown streaks inside the wheels.

Ah right, I'll start drying them in that case although I can't see anything on the inside of the wheels, they are shiny black.

Yep drying wheels is a must even if you use filtered water due to reasons Simon says. And if you don't use filtered water then you may well get water spots too.

Do you dry the insides or just the faces?
« Last Edit: 10 July 2017, 16:18 by hog_hedge »

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #1254 on: 10 July 2017, 12:47 »
If you can reach to wash the insides, you really out to dry them too.

My Match only has 16" wheels and they are a bugger, as there's little room to get between the brake backing plates, calipers and the wheels. They'll need to be taken off periodically to be cleaned and sealed properly.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #1255 on: 10 July 2017, 13:09 »

On the photo of my wheel on the previous page I didn't dry it and I'm fairly sure the place I use(BP station) doesn't filter the water, but before they get a chance to start to dry I drive the car home the mile or so and by the time I get home they are bone dry. I do try to do little to no braking for the trip.

What do you dry the wheels with? Without wanting to sound stupid, do I just cut up a big towel?
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1256 on: 10 July 2017, 13:22 »

On the photo of my wheel on the previous page I didn't dry it and I'm fairly sure the place I use(BP station) doesn't filter the water, but before they get a chance to start to dry I drive the car home the mile or so and by the time I get home they are bone dry. I do try to do little to no braking for the trip.

What do you dry the wheels with? Without wanting to sound stupid, do I just cut up a big towel?

Cut up towel is a good idea.  Used to do just that with old towels but now I have a couple of WoWo wheel towels which are the perfect size and being black hide the stains.  They are actually my favourite towrls as find them great for other small areas too.  https://wo-wo.co.uk/collections/wo-wo-car-detailing-products/products/alloy-wheel-drying-towel

I usually take the car down the road for a quick spin to clear the rust off the brakes but do that after drying wheels as if they are wet they pick up road dirt en-route.
« Last Edit: 10 July 2017, 13:25 by Booth11 »
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline I wanted a GTi

• I live here
« Reply #1257 on: 10 July 2017, 14:02 »
Cheers Rebecca.
5 door GTD in night blue collected 1/3/17

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1258 on: 12 July 2017, 14:31 »
Washed my Polo GTI today. Sorry, no before and after pictures, just one picture to show how the Fusso Coat Dark 12 Months Wax is holding up that I applied to my car at the beginning of March.

Since I applied it, the car has been washed roughly every 2 weeks and the only products applied to the paintwork in that time have been Valet Pro snow foam as part of the pre-wash, and Chemical Guys Extreme Body Wash and Wax shampoo. I've deliberately not topped up the Fusso, or used a quick detailer as I wanted to see how well it would hold up, given Fusso's 12 months durability claim.

I think it's holding up pretty well; the picture was taken after washing, and pressure washing the suds off the car. IMO the beading is still pretty good, bearing in mind I'm in a hard water area and no other products have been applied to the paintwork to boost the longevity of the Fusso since it was applied just over 4 months ago.

Realistically, in spite of its name, I never expected to get 12 months protection from it, but it looks as if it would comfortably provide pretty good protection for 6 months, especially if it had a little help from a few applications of quick detailer during the drying off stage of the cleaning process. I'll be re-applying the Fusso in a couple of months time when I give my car it's autumn detail.

Anyone looking for an inexpensive synthetic wax that's easy to apply and has good durability, I'd recommend it.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1259 on: 12 July 2017, 18:21 »
Washed my Polo GTI today. Sorry, no before and after pictures, just one picture to show how the Fusso Coat Dark 12 Months Wax is holding up that I applied to my car at the beginning of March.

Since I applied it, the car has been washed roughly every 2 weeks and the only products applied to the paintwork in that time have been Valet Pro snow foam as part of the pre-wash, and Chemical Guys Extreme Body Wash and Wax shampoo. I've deliberately not topped up the Fusso, or used a quick detailer as I wanted to see how well it would hold up, given Fusso's 12 months durability claim.

I think it's holding up pretty well; the picture was taken after washing, and pressure washing the suds off the car. IMO the beading is still pretty good, bearing in mind I'm in a hard water area and no other products have been applied to the paintwork to boost the longevity of the Fusso since it was applied just over 4 months ago.

Realistically, in spite of its name, I never expected to get 12 months protection from it, but it looks as if it would comfortably provide pretty good protection for 6 months, especially if it had a little help from a few applications of quick detailer during the drying off stage of the cleaning process. I'll be re-applying the Fusso in a couple of months time when I give my car it's autumn detail.

Anyone looking for an inexpensive synthetic wax that's easy to apply and has good durability, I'd recommend it.

That's holding up pretty well. Paintwork looks great too, such a lovely colour. I doubt the claims of any wax being able to last 12 months but if you can get 6 months that good going imo.
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual