Author Topic: What detailing have you done today?  (Read 546992 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What detailing have you done today?
« Reply #1310 on: 05 September 2017, 17:54 »
Thanks both :smiley:

SR - the weather is making things difficult, luckily I'm off next week so will try to put the extra effort in for a wheels off job. Actually if truth be told I'm off this week too, and the last two weeks of September! Was planning on some relaxation but jobs and family visits keep taking over.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1311 on: 05 September 2017, 20:13 »
What you both need, is a detailing tent.  :laugh:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1312 on: 05 September 2017, 20:52 »

Ha ha! :grin: I was thinking about your detailing tent when I saw it raining and there was quite a blustery breeze blowing.

I'm one of the few in my road who garages their car in the garage, rather than parking it on the driveway; one of the benefits of having a small car - it fits in my small garage. Unfortunately, the downside of a small garage is there's not enough room to work on my car when it's in the garage. At least I can spread my detailing over a 2-3 day period and put the car in the garage when I'm not working on it so it doesn't need washing between polishing sessions.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1313 on: 05 September 2017, 20:55 »

Not quite what I think I'd have considered but, perhaps, yes. Where did you get yours? My neighbours might think there'd been a murder or something though.... The reason I keep doing the shots I do is because there's little room for movement out the front of our house so a car tent will be very obvious :shocked:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1314 on: 05 September 2017, 21:21 »
Rock Awnings 3m by 6m in white with sidewalls.

https://rockawnings.co.uk/gazebos/explorer-series-pop-up-gazebos/3m-x-6m/exp3x6

It's multi-functional and will be doing other duty in a couple weekends as a disco marquee for my daughter's birthday party.  Then back on detailing duty in Oct/Nov most likely will kids footprints all over it.  :laugh:

SRGTD, that's great you have a garage, even if it's a too snug to work in at least you can get the car under cover during the big details. 

Watts - let the neighbours think what they like, be mysterious!  :grin:
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1315 on: 05 September 2017, 21:55 »
That looks pretty reasonable, handy for a barbecue in inclement weather too...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1316 on: 13 September 2017, 18:58 »
Nothing on my GTI today but instead, just because I'm nice (and didn't want to have to do work in the garden :whistle:), I gave my OH's Lupo a good going over. We've had it from new (April 2003) and I doubt it has ever had this much attention before. There were parts of the car that could easily have supported a crop of spuds, it was minging. The interior wasn't too bad just tired and grubby. A good vacuum and dust to start, a wipe over everything inside with a damp mf then a good spray and wipe with Poorboys natural look dressing. Inside of windows got a clean with AG Fast Glass then I washed all the door shuts, dried, treated with Tardis as there were marks which I think had always been there that wouldn't wash off, that did it though. Then washed dried and a QD had the door shuts looking really good :smiley:

Exterior washed, Tardis where needed then a good go with my Wo-Wo clay mitt. That had it all really good and smooth. Wash, rinse, dry, wax (FinishKare 1000P) and a QD all over. All black plastics, seals and tyres treated to FinishKare Top Kote and glass given a coating of Gtechniq C2v3. Really pleased how it came out, I think it could do with another good clean to finish some of the niggly bits that I missed this time plus a polish once I get a DA (good for a practise, better than trying it out on mine for the first time :laugh:). All in all though, I think it doesn't look too bad for a 14 year old car that has never been garaged!

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1317 on: 13 September 2017, 19:44 »
That's a good effort Watts; looks great. I always liked the Lupo, especially the GTI.

Good idea to use the Lupo as a guinea pig for your polishing skills when you get your DA. I'm hoping I can use mine next week, so praying for 2-3 decent days weather!
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #1318 on: 13 September 2017, 20:41 »
Cheers SR, I'd have preferred a GTI but have to make do with our beast of a 1.0!

Not seen much of your pocket rocket recently, all going well and happy? The new MK6 GTI looks like it could be a little belter and very smart too :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #1319 on: 13 September 2017, 20:51 »
Cheers SR, I'd have preferred a GTI but have to make do with our beast of a 1.0!

Not seen much of your pocket rocket recently, all going well and happy? The new MK6 GTI looks like it could be a little belter and very smart too :smiley:

It's going well thanks. If I give it 'the works', detailing-wise in the next few days (weather permitting), I'll put some pictures up.

Yes, I really like the look of the new Polo GTI. It will be on the list of possible replacements when the time comes to change the pocket rocket (won't be for some time though!).
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk