Author Topic: Sams Scruffy Mk3!  (Read 98655 times)

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
Re: Sams Scruffy Mk3 CL!
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2010, 20:52 »
Starting problem is now fixed :) so im going to fit the new backbox this weekend and sort out a couple of other bits n bobs and it will be off for MOT next week

I now feel really stupid  :grin: as the starting problem turned out to be a bad earth... even though i resistance tested it and it was fine and also took it off and cleaned it up anyway
My grandad had a look and he put a washer either side of the wire and that did the trick, atleast it works now

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #11 on: 02 September 2010, 21:24 »
Starting problem is now fixed :) so im going to fit the new backbox this weekend and sort out a couple of other bits n bobs and it will be off for MOT next week

I now feel really stupid  :grin: as the starting problem turned out to be a bad earth... even though i resistance tested it and it was fine and also took it off and cleaned it up anyway
My grandad had a look and he put a washer either side of the wire and that did the trick, atleast it works now
dont worry about it, i had the same with my old white mk1 when its suddenly died on me at 60... was the earth strap, on the roadside even the RAC couldnt find the fault and towed it home!

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 05 September 2010, 22:02 »
another little update
its still starting fine and not draining the battery anymore so thats all good  :cool:
today i fitted the GTI backbox, it didnt have one on when i got it so picked up a almost new condition GTI one for £8 from scrappy
got it running on 4 cylinders again, turned out to be a dodgy HT lead
and removed all the general crap inside it from me and the previous owner, including rear seats as the previous owner decided to cut the seat belts off  :undecided: seats and no seat belts = MOT fail
once its MOTd and i know im not wasting time/money i will look out for a GTI interior from the scrappy... best place ever  :grin:

heres some random pics anyway...
giving it a run to charge the battery and my mate stalled it in the middle of no where, 20 minute walk back to his golf to go fetch it :p

With the rear seats removed, well atleast it should be a bit faster

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #13 on: 07 September 2010, 16:09 »
coming along nicely. good luck with mot

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #14 on: 07 September 2010, 16:41 »
It is now through MOT  :cool: it failed on one wheel bearing, corroded brake lines and the rust on the sill which i knew about anyway

Sold that set of 17" wolfrace wheels for £95 on ebay which is a bit of a result  :grin: so once i get the money from those i can get it taxed and insured
It came with both sets of wheels aswell, so does that effectively make it a £65 car? lol

Offline lewis1641

• I live here
  • stuck in the 90's
« Reply #15 on: 07 September 2010, 17:11 »
it does in my book!
good work

Offline Rossabal

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 07 September 2010, 21:28 »
nice man, changed the car into something good!! how are ya liking no rear seats ? i heard its louder on the inside without them ?
"If i thought punching you in the face would make you look better....... I would.."

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #17 on: 07 September 2010, 21:38 »
Cant say at the moment, i havnt driven it with them out yet and when it did have them in it had no backbox on  :grin:
its already annoying though, was planning on going to snetterton this weekend with some mates but i can only take one person now  :rolleyes:

im just waiting on payments coming through so i can tax and insure it, then i will be totally skint till i sell the astra

Still got lots of work to do on the golf before im happy with it, still got some of the previous owners 'artwork' to remove... not sure wether to keep the 'DC' on the front NS wing or not, i kinda like it
then Tcut pretty much the whole thing
wire in the radio which looks like a right pita, and fit my sub and speakers
tidy up interior and get looking for some cheap back seats and seatbelts
also need a spare wheel and jack otherwise im screwed if i get a puncture
then once i sell the astra its getting some major slammage!
« Last Edit: 07 September 2010, 21:39 by rcsammy »

Offline rcsammy

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 14 September 2010, 15:54 »
getting these window tint paint drips off is a nightmare!!!!!

im sanding them off with very fine wet and dry, but some of them are so tough to get off that the primer is starting to show through, especially around the bump stips

i've picked up some paint from halfords as i was told by a few people that its the best match for rattle cans, so hopefully i can spray over the area and then Tcut it in

Offline *Jonnyg*

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 14 September 2010, 21:20 »
Personally, if this was my car.. I would remove all the tint spray and that, and sand it down a bit, and matt black it/  :wink:
** Tuned diesels - kinda like a guy with a huge cock and premature ejaculation. **