Author Topic: Has school changed? Or are kids just really spoilt?  (Read 6926 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!
Re: Has school changed? Or are kids just really spoilt?
« Reply #20 on: 20 June 2007, 10:54 »
I don't give a sh!t about what anyone else drives. I am not impressed by others' wealth. And when I see someone flaunt it when it is obvious he/she did not amass it on his/her own -  that's kindergarten to me

....I think you're missing the point. This discussion isn't about 'how others see us' but about how a gift such as an expensive car might spoil a youngster. It's also a reflection on the values of society in recent years.
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 20 June 2007, 10:59 »
If you got an M5 or RS4, you would not write that post. And don't tell me you would refuse the car if it were given to you by your wealthy parents, no one would!  :wink:
Trust me, it is your subconsious supressed envy fcuking with you.

....Of course no-one would refuse the gift of a nice car. The point is that the parents giving it wouldn't be doing their kid any real favours - They might be just spoiling them or even buying it out of their own conscience about not giving enough attention to their kid. Also, just to impress their neighbours etc etc.

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #22 on: 20 June 2007, 11:31 »
....Of course no-one would refuse the gift of a nice car. The point is that the parents giving it wouldn't be doing their kid any real favours - They might be just spoiling them or even buying it out of their own conscience about not giving enough attention to their kid. Also, just to impress their neighbours etc etc.

Thank you! Somebody is getting the point I'm trying to make.

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #23 on: 20 June 2007, 13:11 »

....That's where I disagree with you: The "best" for your kid (in my opinion) is to teach them how to earn and value what they receive and not to take things for granted and expect to be given things. It's the behaviour of 'expecting' things which makes someone 'spoilt'. However, someone who is already spoilt is highly unlikely to understand this. I speak as a parent and someone who is grateful for how my parents brought me up rather than for what things they bought me as gifts.
I agree totally with you Robin,
When i think of my childhood did i have to do without things were friends got them or people at school had the latest in things? yes because my parents did not have loads of money. Did i find it hard at the time probably yes (infact i still remember one when i was about 12 about trainer makes) but it give me a great lesson in life that if i worked myself hard for something and saved the pennys i could have something too and i would value it so much more because of the hard work it was to get it. My parents had little money but my uncles and aunts on both sides of the family were well off there kids got everything they wanted or it seemed like it. They had labtops before i had even heard of them!. personal ornaisers etc etc etc.
Ilearned valuable lessons from all this though.
When i compare myself to them today 20+ years on i seem to be the one whos better off. If i compare myself to my cousin Neal as an example he has more bling a posher car (BMW), Even a better paid job! due to going to better schools he has the latest everything ipods etc, but he has a small house latest newish trendy one but large morgage, and is in dept for at the last count 25K trendy wardrope and spends lots of nights out in clubs with mates racking up more dept.
Were as myself i have a 3 bedroom detached self built house with decent gardens is paid for fully as is the cars the 7 car workshop i have and everything else so i have no dept. If i want something and it will take me 2 years to save for it i will do without other things then thats what i will do. I will not buy it on credit. ( i have a bad credit rating because of this lol)
Its funny but when i meet up with old school friends i find the ones that had all the in things are in massive dept as they still have to HAVE the in things, and often there parents are still bailing them out, there in dept as they don't know how to manage money and the value of it. The ones that were not so well off have done ok for themselfs.
The culture now is must have now and thats why theses so many programs out there like 'bank of mom and dad' and them dept programs. Parents don't teach there kids the value of money it may be a hard lesson when your a kid and teenager but it is the best lesson in life you will ever learn and the best i ever did.

As for a gift of a car, its funny when my dad was on about changing cars last year i offered to buy him one (mk5 GTI) he refused point blank, I guess the lessons he instilled in me were in him even more and he was too prowd to except a gift like this.
« Last Edit: 20 June 2007, 13:21 by Snowman »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Peskarik

« Reply #24 on: 20 June 2007, 13:15 »
If you got an M5 or RS4, you would not write that post. And don't tell me you would refuse the car if it were given to you by your wealthy parents, no one would!  :wink:

agreed.
But look at ManuGTI, he bought his first car with his own money, and then his dad gave him MK5 as well, and look how nice he turned out!  :smiley:

Peskarik

« Reply #25 on: 20 June 2007, 13:17 »

still, I think there is supressed envy. Especially when kids are talking about these matters (I know you are not a kid, RR. well..maybe in your heart  :wink:)

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 20 June 2007, 13:38 »
(I know you are not a kid, RR. well..maybe in your heart  :wink:)

.... :grin:

I don't mind growing old, just as long as I don't have to grow up!

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #27 on: 20 June 2007, 13:38 »
Is it envy i guess it is.
The guys with these cars want other kids to envy them. The kids without them will have one of 5 outlooks on those kids or its how i remember it when i was a kid. 1: spoilt showoff daddy has lots of money 2: Envy them for getting those cars. 3: think they should have them so we will pinch them or one similar, steal or deal drugs etc to get the money for one asap. 4: one day i will have one but i will be more prowd if i buy it myself with money i have earned in an honest manner. 5: there daddys prob in lots of dept to keep that idiot in toys (virtual dad anyone).
I think from the age of about 12 i swopped over to 4+5 rather than envy.
But still today at all ages you get people who fit in all those classes ones that want to show off mines faster than yours, Have the Latest things etc who want others to be envy and alot of people are.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

sharpie

« Reply #28 on: 20 June 2007, 18:14 »

I'm sorry. But as a 16 year old in todays society i feel this is crazy. What is going on in parents heads? A merc C class for a first car?

wow.  Whats everyones opinions?

smacks of suppressed envy.

I don't give a sh!t about what anyone else drives. I am not impressed by others' wealth. And when I see someone flaunt it when it is obvious he/she did not amass it on his/her own -  that's kindergarten to me

amen brother.

if rich parents buy their kids a new car then what's the problem... just a pointless jealousy thread to be fair.

dinx - cheers love  :laugh:

Offline gooseuk

• Here all the time
  • Diesel is the way forward
« Reply #29 on: 21 June 2007, 09:17 »
I know a lad hes my age 21. For his first car at 18 he got a brand new mini one with it being de badged sports suspension etc etc.

I saw him again after i aint seen him for a while. And now daddy his geting him a 20 grand honda civic typre r gt  ( not sure if there is a gt on the end but that what he says ). Best thing about it was he was not old enough to test drive it for him self.

And  its gonna be 3 grand a year insurance.

Its sick money what some parents spend on cars for there sons etc.

But if you have the cash why not i say.
Diesel power all the way