Author Topic: 3 Inch Turbo Back Exhaust - Knocking and Rattling  (Read 1333 times)

Offline 06hirons

• Just got here
3 Inch Turbo Back Exhaust - Knocking and Rattling
« on: 15 April 2013, 15:10 »
Recently had my 3'' Turbo Back Exhaust fitted buy a reputable tuner/garage. The fit is perfect, but I have noticed when its warm it seems to knock/rattle abit more.
On pull off it sounds like its hitting the bumper trim and round bends and over bumps sounds like its moving and knocking on heat shield in chassis tunnel.

I dont think its a fault with the installation or the exhaust manufacturer. I'm not familiar with the MK5 platform as I have only just recently purchased the car and I've had a search and couldnt find anything?

Is there exhaust rubber mount hangers/bushes that need replacing?
Any other ideas? Seems to be less of a problem when vehicle is cold.

Any help welcomed, thanks in advance.

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
Re: 3 Inch Turbo Back Exhaust - Knocking and Rattling
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2013, 15:24 »
Could be any number of mounts that may be broke. I manged to break one of mine when reverse (twit) and my Milltek was rattling about so yes, there are a number of rubber mounts holding it in place.

Best bet is to try and get it up on some ramps and have a good butchers underneath it to see whats lose. Stick some gloves on and give its good prod.

Offline Ed30DSG

• Here all the time
  • Edition 30 - gone - Audi S3 here
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2013, 18:45 »
More than likely it is not fitted correctly, especially if you think it is hitting the rear valance. The system can grow by as much as 2" when hot so the correct positioning of the rearmost box is vital.

Have you gone back to them and explained the problem?

Offline 06hirons

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2013, 22:53 »
No mate, unfortunately there not too local.
I was hoping for some ideas on common issues then hoping to resolve it at a local garage / exhaust place.