Author Topic: Would you buy a car with "Some" History  (Read 1900 times)

Offline vort3x

• Not said much yet
Re: Would you buy a car with "Some" History
« Reply #10 on: 14 June 2006, 13:46 »
Right I rang up expecting to speak to a tradesman but apparantley it turns out to be a private sale. I spoke to the wife who isn't really dealing with and gave me the number of her husband. Anyway I asked a few questions -

The service history is since 2004 (basically the first year an MOT was needed). I don't know what to conclude from this and was hoping you could advise me on whether this seems reasonable and if there are any other questions I should ask.

The car isn't too far away but far enough to want to be certain when I go to have a look. I would of course have it inspected by an RAC / AA guy before I bought it (hope this is what you meant MK1MADJ).

From what the wife told me it does sound reasonable but I was just wondering what you guys were thinking about not have any history during it's warranty period.

I will give the husband a call later today so any questions you could give me to ask would be greatly appreciated.

Offline paulm007

• Here all the time
  • On my orders, release Hell
« Reply #11 on: 14 June 2006, 13:59 »
Why would a car not have history during its warranty period???

The service book would still be stamped up, have they just lost the book?

To be honest mate, there are enough 130's out there (even I have one  :smiley:).  Think I would walk away but then I am just a suspicious sod  :grin:

53 GT TDI 130 - Sold
07 GTI Ed30, 3dr, Black pearl now sold! :(

Offline charri42

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 14 June 2006, 14:22 »
Call up your local VW dealer with the reg number. They will be able to tell you when and at what mileages it has been in. You may have a really pleasant surprise and still be able to use the lack of SH as a negotiation tool.

Worst case scenario is it was a high mileage fleet car (on 3 year contract) then a trader clocked it back (chucking away the SH) and sold it to the unsuspecting people you are speaking to. Some of those 3 years olds I have seen at auction with 120k on the clock really look in fine shape and would be ripe for clocking.