Author Topic: Would you buy a car with "Some" History  (Read 1901 times)

Offline vort3x

• Not said much yet
Would you buy a car with "Some" History
« on: 13 June 2006, 13:48 »
As some people might know, I am looking for a gt tdi 130 and have spotted this ad on Autotrader:

2001 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF 1.9 GT TDI 130 5dr Diesel Hatchback,
Silver. ABS, Air conditioning, Alarm, Alloy wheels, Body coloured bumpers, Central locking.44272 miles,some history t & t recently serviced, sony md head unit. £5,650
na

There is a pic and contact number and am thinking of going to have a look. But I was wondering what you guys woudl think about buying a car without a full service history? Is it a complete no no ?

Thanx in advance

Tom

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
Re: Would you buy a car with "Some" History
« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2006, 13:53 »
Depends on the reason for no history. I tend to service my cars myself.. so no stamps in the book.. but I take a hell of a lot more care with my motor than any garage would. Obviously there should be receipts for any major parts that have been replaced.

Offline paulm007

• Here all the time
  • On my orders, release Hell
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2006, 14:12 »
Would concern me a tad as with only 40k on the clock after 5 years i would expect a proper service history.  I have a 53 plate 130 with just over 40 k and have had it serviced twice due to the intelligent servicing (cost approx £400 in total) so why no history???

Think I would avoid :undecided:

53 GT TDI 130 - Sold
07 GTI Ed30, 3dr, Black pearl now sold! :(

Offline GazB

• I live here
  • Newport Edition - aaahhhhh!AC Cobra Fast as F*@k -
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2006, 15:21 »
its up to you at the end of the day, get the car hpi'd and/or RAC/AA inspected to put your mind at ease and see if there are any milage discrepencies :undecided:, this would rest your mind a bit before you shell out
I would tend to go more for a car with service history tho

Offline Mk1Mad J - 16v

• I live here
  • At my age I don't have to act responsibly...
« Reply #4 on: 13 June 2006, 15:38 »
Give my mate £50 and he will stamp your book up for you - so at least they've been honest about it  :wink:

HPI checks aren't worth the paper they're printed on either - they only log whats gone through insurance :smiley:

best to get a knowledgable person to look over it  :smug:

"Ever since I started to surf, I have realized that golf is for people who don't know how to surf."  -- Tiger Woods.

my dub project:-
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35338.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEUOoH_xxo

Offline vort3x

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 13 June 2006, 16:45 »
Thanx guys.

I guess I was thinking the same thing really just wanted confirmation. I might give the person a call and find out a bit more info about it. Would definatley get it HPId and probably do a RAC/AA check on it as well for piece of mind more than anything.

Anyway I will ring them and see what they have to say. Hopefully it will have all the receipts with it etc but I am still a bit wary of it. Cant hurt to enquire though.

MK1MADJ -> What do you mean by knowledgable person? Sorry if this is a dumbass question.

Offline charri42

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 13 June 2006, 19:09 »
Only accept it if there is a very good reason and the mileage seems genuine based on wear and tear.

From cars I have seen with a low mileage, histories go missing to disguise the fact Doc or one of his chums has fiddled the clock. Worth phoning VW to veirfy when it was last serviced, maybe it was last year at 120k :angry:

The HPI does a very basic mileage check. But this is only of use if it comes up as an alert - i.e. being clear means nothing,

Offline Mantamad

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 13 June 2006, 22:57 »
There could be a genuine reason. For example my father-in-law bought is Volvo new, kept it 10 years and had it serviced every year but he kept his handbook/service pack in the house and just dumped the receipts he got from the garage not thinking he would ever need them.
Black 2002 GT TDi 130

Offline charri42

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2006, 00:46 »
There could be a genuine reason. For example my father-in-law bought is Volvo new, kept it 10 years and had it serviced every year but he kept his handbook/service pack in the house and just dumped the receipts he got from the garage not thinking he would ever need them.

Yes, I agree with that.
Its a case of getting a 'feel' for the situation when you speak to the seller and if things don't seem right, walking away.

Offline Mk1Mad J - 16v

• I live here
  • At my age I don't have to act responsibly...
« Reply #9 on: 14 June 2006, 09:35 »

MK1MADJ -> What do you mean by knowledgable person? Sorry if this is a dumbass question.

Someone who knows enough about cars to spot a lemon  :wink:

"Ever since I started to surf, I have realized that golf is for people who don't know how to surf."  -- Tiger Woods.

my dub project:-
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35338.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEUOoH_xxo