Author Topic: Coilover Troubles (Donk Noises)  (Read 693 times)

Offline Ads

• GTI forum regular
  • 8V RULES BABY!
Coilover Troubles (Donk Noises)
« on: 02 February 2007, 16:06 »
Hi all.

I just fitted some FK Coilovers and New Top Mounts to my Mk2 Golf gti.

Anyway after the 1st road test i heard some weird and horrible clinking noises for inside and could
easy be heard outside. Anyway i i checked the top off the coilvers where i comes out under the bonnet. Undid the main bolt and removed the metal cup thing. Then i found that the 'Sleve Nut' (the one that bolts onto the coilover & holds the top mount was slightly loose on both sides. Ive done this are tight as i could using a tiny winy punch and hammer & Pilers. Anyway 2nd road test, noise was even worse. Ive noticed that the 'metal cup' that used to sit flush with the 'body' now sits about 3cm up each side is this right? Also got a slight clonk from the rear.

I did everything as tight as i could do but still have these weird clonking noises! Could anybody point my what ive done wrong? Maybe the rubber mounts are on wrong? would this make anything clonk?

Thanks

Offline sc

• Here all the time
Re: Coilover Troubles (Donk Noises)
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2007, 16:15 »
it sounds like the top mounts aren't done up properly, and something similar at the rear.
when you do the top mount up you normally have to use an allenkey to stop the piston rotating did you do this?

Offline Ads

• GTI forum regular
  • 8V RULES BABY!
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2007, 16:31 »
Hello.

I used an airgun 21mm socket. I tried to get spanner on it but it wouldnt fit!. So i just done it up with the gun a bit.

What spanner do i need to get it done up tight?

Also the rear doesnt have an allenkey do how do i tighten this up.

Thanks for the reply!

Offline Ads

• GTI forum regular
  • 8V RULES BABY!
« Reply #3 on: 02 February 2007, 16:42 »
Also,

Found the tool i need on GSF. There listed as:

98743 STRUT NUT TOOL 2PC  GENERAL USE***  7.25 
98744 STRUT NUT TOOL 3PC  GENERAL USE***  8.50 

Any ideas which one i need for a 8v Mk2 Golf Gti (90spec)

Offline sc

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2007, 19:04 »
not to sure mate on the correct tool but gsf sells them in a pack of 3 and you only use one.
as for the rears there is probably a small flattend part at the very top of the psiton use this to tighten.