Author Topic: Turning the car over  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Craig

• Not said much yet
Turning the car over
« on: 22 August 2020, 16:29 »
Hey guys.

Looking for some advice. My car can sometimes sit for months and months not turning a wheel. I was wanting to turn the engine over a few times using the starter motor only to let the oil move around before starting properly. For anyone have any suggestions how I go about it safely?

Much appreciated. Thanks.

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Turning the car over
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2020, 19:32 »
Hey guys.

Looking for some advice. My car can sometimes sit for months and months not turning a wheel. I was wanting to turn the engine over a few times using the starter motor only to let the oil move around before starting properly. For anyone have any suggestions how I go about it safely?

If it’s a petrol car just unplug the coil packs

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2020, 22:22 »
The oil is very thin so I’d just fire it up normally once in a while and run the engine up to temperature.
That’ll help the aircon system seals too.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2020, 22:56 »
Do you not have 5mins every 3 weeks  to run it around the block?

If its a manual I'd be worried about the clutch plates seizing, and regardless of transmission I'd be concerned that the brakes don't bind. You need to move the car once in a while, not just worry about the engine turning over.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 23 August 2020, 09:07 »
The oil is very thin so I’d just fire it up normally once in a while and run the engine up to temperature.
That’ll help the aircon system seals too.

Yep, but needs to be up to temperature for a while to get rid of condensation as that could cause more damage than good. It could also do with moving to get oil around the gearbox.

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 23 August 2020, 10:25 »
Hey guys.

If it’s a petrol car just unplug the coil packs

To be fair that wouldn't be advisable as you will then just dump fuel into the cylinders and create a borewash scenario as well as fill the oil with fuel as it then drains past the rings.

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 23 August 2020, 19:35 »
My Mk2 is off the road for six months over winter. I start it, get it up to temperature and move it up and down the drive a couple of times a month. The other thing to consider is your tyres becoming mis-shapen. Adding an extra 10PSI will help them keep their shape, but leave a note on the dash to remind you before you next take it up the road.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline Craig

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2020, 03:17 »
Thanks for all the comments guys. I was hoping if I could pull the fuse for say the fuel pump it would just let the car turn over a good few times. Then plug it in and let the car start.