Author Topic: Slack Handbrake  (Read 12000 times)

Offline Agentsmith1uk

• Not said much yet
Slack Handbrake
« on: 18 March 2009, 22:16 »
Hi all, On the mk4 2.0 Gti, am i right in thinking that it doesnt have shoes like on other cars i have owned and that the handbrake cable is part of the pad system ?
If i'm right, how can i adjust the handbrake because when i follow the cable from disc to handbrake the cables dissapear under the exhaust heat shield. Currently i have approx 7 clicks and the car rolls if parked on a hill. ( not good )
many thanks in advance
 :smiley:

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
  • The Linkmeister and an OEM Freak.
Re: Slack Handbrake
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2009, 22:19 »
Hi all, On the mk4 2.0 Gti, am i right in thinking that it doesnt have shoes like on other cars i have owned and that the handbrake cable is part of the pad system ?
If i'm right, how can i adjust the handbrake because when i follow the cable from disc to handbrake the cables dissapear under the exhaust heat shield. Currently i have approx 7 clicks and the car rolls if parked on a hill. ( not good )
many thanks in advance

To adjust...

1, take rear astray out

2, pop off the side clips for the ashtray holder, remove assembly

3, remove rear cup holder (press down steel spring clips now visible after ashtray removed.

4, you'll see the handbrake adjuster nut, simply tighten to take slack out.  :wink:

MKIV Mod Squad™ a part of the headlight police.

Offline Agentsmith1uk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2009, 22:27 »
This is the beauty of experienced people that use this forum, without hours of trawling websites i have my answer within minutes. many thanks richw911 ur a star.
A job for me tomorrow
tyvm

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2009, 22:29 »
This is the beauty of experienced people that use this forum, without hours of trawling websites i have my answer within minutes. many thanks richw911 ur a star.
A job for me tomorrow
tyvm

No probs at all :afro:

This may be of some help also:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=958556

Offline Agentsmith1uk

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2009, 10:07 »
Just tightened my handbrake cable up and it now works a charm, once again tyvm richw911. Another job i thought i'd have to pay someone to sort done.

Offline richw911

• 10k hero
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2009, 18:17 »
Just tightened my handbrake cable up and it now works a charm, once again tyvm richw911. Another job i thought i'd have to pay someone to sort done.

Glad shes all sorted :afro:

Offline AlexKid

• GTI forum regular
  • Living well is the best revenge.
« Reply #6 on: 03 April 2009, 15:29 »
I too had a slack hand brake and tightened as described above.  However, within a day the slackness returned and it's back to normal.  Has the nut loosened itself?  Is there any way to solve this?

1999 MkIV Golf 2.0 8v