Author Topic: mfa stuck on 99.9mpg  (Read 8563 times)

Offline Diluxe

• Here all the time
mfa stuck on 99.9mpg
« on: 07 December 2003, 20:11 »
Hi my 89 16v has a MFA computer thing upuntil about an hour ago, it was working fine, now on setting one the mpg is reading 99.9 all the time, all other display patterns seem fine time,speed etc and everythings working fine on setting 2.

any ideas whats up?

cheers
1997 16V

Offline Gozza

• I live here
Re:mfa stuck on 99.9mpg
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2003, 20:46 »

I have heard if you disconnect the battery for a while and then reconnect they sort them selves out. Worth a try me thinks  8)

Blue MK2

« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2003, 21:49 »
the vacume hose behind the speedo has probably come off. Plug it back in.;)

Offline mk1

• I live here
  • 2ltr16v turbo (now with programmable EFI)
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2003, 22:02 »
I may be wrong, but if the sensor was working correctly, a low vacuum (sp) will show a poor mpg?
Steve.

Blue MK2

« Reply #4 on: 07 December 2003, 22:29 »
happend to mine till i reconnected the hose.

I think its reading 99.9mpg because its got nothing to calculate hence the hose has come off?

There have been a few posts about this.

Offline Diluxe

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2003, 00:14 »
Hi,

thanks for the hints, had the battery disconnected for about 3 hours, everything reset to zero, all reading read -- -- - for about 5 minutes and then i went for a drive around the block, and everything but the mpg on setting 1 and 2 seems not to work and is stuck again at 99.9 mpg :-X

so i guess it must be this vaccum hose, how easy is it to get to the back of the dials? and is thereanything i can do to keep it on , and even more importantly what made it come off?

cheers
1997 16V

Blue MK2

« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2003, 00:35 »
You have to unclip all the switches first. Take the headunit out also.

Once all these are out of the way you will find a few screws (about 5-6) located behind the switches. This will be clear once you have taken the parts out.

There are 2 screws near the top of the speedo and one behind the main light switch.

Pull the dash surround out and there will be 2 more screws that old the speedo in place

Pull the speedo out but try and keep the speedo cable in its place. Refit the hose and your done mate. :)

The hose probably came off if it was pulled from the inlet manifold

Offline JezGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2003, 09:00 »
Where abouts in the engine bay does the vaccum hose run?  I have --- on MPG, Miles and Average Speed but the vacuum hose is definatly firmly connected to the back of the speedo.
By the way FYI Diluxe, I found that it was impossible to remove the clocks unit without removing the speedo cable (which is a bit of a b!tch, had to reach around with my right hand and squeeze the plastic arms on the connector plug).

Blue MK2

« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2003, 09:58 »
I havnt had a good look for the location of the hose but its around this area (see pic)

Hope that helps

Offline Diluxe

• Here all the time
« Reply #9 on: 08 December 2003, 10:25 »
Cheers Blue & Jez,

I was just about to post, the following reply "before I dismantle the dash, is there anywhere in the engine bay i should check that the hose has not come loose or split"

but you've posted up a picture so  :D , what engine is that i guess thats not a 16v?

also I recently changed the air filter could i have screwed something up there, I notice that on the top the air filter box is a big round thing with 5 or so braided cables coming out......................................

cheers
1997 16V