Author Topic: MK6 GT TDi (140bhp) or MK6 GTD (170bhp)  (Read 31841 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: MK6 GT TDi (140bhp) or MK6 GTD (170bhp)
« Reply #30 on: 08 August 2011, 12:52 »
Hope I don't get thrown off this site for my next comment but - how does the SEAT Leon's compare in your opinions?  Thanks
Now your'e talking my language! You can get a Leon 2.0 TDI SE or Sport through a broker such as Drive the Deal for between £17k and £18k brand new, or a 140 TDI FR for about £800 or so more. You can get a Leon FR+ 170 TDI for under £20k which comes with Xenons, bluetooth and nav.
The FR+ is a hell of a lot of car for the money but if your main concern is the likely cost of replacement parts in 10 years time maybe it's not for you. Maybe a Vauxhall with a lifetime warranty is more up your street?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline centurian

• Not said much yet
« Reply #31 on: 04 September 2011, 19:24 »
Spent the last few weeks not being able to find a sutiable car but hoping one may appear now the new registrations are out.  99% sure I'm gonna go with a GT TDi Golf but may look at a Seat Leon FR just for the hell of it.

I know that product reviews are to be taken with a pinch of salt but a few reports I've readabout the Mk5 and Mk6 GT TDi indicate that owners have found the seats to be not as supportive/good as you might expect.  Is there any long term owners of these vehicles willing to give their view on this please?  (If I get a car I tend to keep hold a while so could do with something that's excellent on the comfort/long drive front.)

Also what's the SEAT like for a comfort perspective please? 

Reason I ask about the comfort aspect is that with a test drive etc. you're not in the car long enough but to get an impression and I doubt they'd let me sit in one for an afternoon.

Thanks

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 04 September 2011, 19:31 »
I've personally found the seats extremely comfortable for my back and very easy on a long journey.

What I have noticed though is that the back of my thighs become very tired after a while and I have to wriggle about a bit for the feeling to go away. It may just be a coincidence but I've never had it in any other car.

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 04 September 2011, 19:37 »
I don't think the seats are as comfortable or as well made in my GTD as they were in my MKV GTI. I find that the lumbar support feels a bit lumpy and creaks when you try adjusting it! I haven't got round to mentioning it to the dealers yet.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #34 on: 05 September 2011, 11:05 »
I've got no complaints about the seats in the GT. I struggle to get decent under thigh support in all cars, so that will always be an issue for me. However, I do find the standard cruise control on the GT useful on longer journeys, as it allows me to wriggle my right leg about from time to time.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline centurian

• Not said much yet
« Reply #35 on: 06 September 2011, 17:12 »
Thanks all.  The other thing I don't understand is the fixation with wheel sizes - that a larger tyre size can make the car perform differently in respect of performance and comfort.  Any comments again appreciated.   

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 06 September 2011, 17:40 »
Thanks all.  The other thing I don't understand is the fixation with wheel sizes - that a larger tyre size can make the car perform differently in respect of performance and comfort.  Any comments again appreciated.   

Apart from maybe a bit of extra width there isn't that much you change with the wheel and tyre combo. The bigger wheel you fit just means the sidewall of the tyre is smaller as the overall circumfrence of the wheel and tyre has to stay more or less identical.
A 16'' wheel will give you cheap tyres and a more comfortable ride (assuming you don't fit really wide 16'' tyres) and better fuel economy (less drag and weight) whereas a 19'' wheel will provide you with hideously expensive tyres, sharper steering and a choppier ride quality. 17'' and 18'' with be in between those two extremes.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 06 September 2011, 18:00 »
I think Exonian summed up the technical element really concisely. For most people however, larger wheels are chosen for asthetic reasons. Cars are getting bigger, and so have wheels to stay in proportion.

In my sig pic, you'll see my Mk6 with 18" wheels and my very much smaller Mk2 with 15" wheels. In my opinion, both sets of wheels suit the cars they are fitted on very well.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.