Author Topic: Newbie here... I need your opinions!  (Read 17897 times)

Offline yabot

• Not said much yet
Newbie here... I need your opinions!
« on: 02 November 2014, 18:25 »
Hi everyone, long time reader first time poster.

I currently own a 11 plate 3 door Mk6 GTD in Black, its got 30k miles and i love it! I am thinking of doing the following upgrades too it:

- Carbon chip tuning remap to around 200bhp.
- Front xenons/drls
- These BBS alloys http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/bbs/sr/grey/18-inch

Other than that i'd keep it stock.

HOWEVER... and here is my dilemma...

I live in the city centre (manchester), however im from down south so only make the 200 mile trip every few months, which the diesel is great for, however, with all the town driving i do i'd quite like to swap it for a GTI  :smug:

I'd preferably like an identical car, black, 3 door, similar mileage, maybe with leather instead of cloth though.
Currently, i have my eyes on these two GTI's...

http://www.vindisgroup.com/car-details/volkswagen_golf_gtigtdr_mk6_hatchback_3-dr_604580047.html

and

http://www.marshallweb.co.uk/volkswagen/used-cars/53042/volkswagen-golf/

However, the GTI in the first link looks to be a strange shade of grey too me? I thought the only grey offered by VW was 'carbon steel grey', however, when compared these two gti's look a different shade, the second one being much darker (which i prefer).

Would just like all your opinions on whether i should swap my GTD for the GTI or not, and those greys! I would be getting some of those BBS alloys for the GTI as well.

Cheers, everyone!
« Last Edit: 02 November 2014, 18:55 by yabot »
2011 3dr Mk6 GTI in CSG - Manual - RNS510/Bluetooth - Winter Pack - Optical Parking Assist - 18'' BBS SR Satin Grey - Few other bits' n bobs

Offline legg360

• GTI forum regular
Re: Newbie here... I need your opinions!
« Reply #1 on: 02 November 2014, 18:42 »
Your auto trader link don't work but you are advertising your postcode tho
Golf GTI MK6 5dr Manual - Candy White with Jacara Cloth, Vancouver 18" Alloys, RNS 510, Cruise Control, Carbon Vinyl Wrap Roof, Milltek 3" Race Cat Back.

Offline yabot

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 02 November 2014, 18:54 »
Your auto trader link don't work but you are advertising your postcode tho

its cool i live in a block of 200 flats  :drool:

cheers though, weblink amended now should work.
« Last Edit: 02 November 2014, 18:55 by yabot »
2011 3dr Mk6 GTI in CSG - Manual - RNS510/Bluetooth - Winter Pack - Optical Parking Assist - 18'' BBS SR Satin Grey - Few other bits' n bobs

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2014, 19:25 »
Keep the GTD.....I have my reasons!  :grin:
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 02 November 2014, 19:38 »
Welcome to the forum yabot  :smiley:

So far as I know mk6 GTI was available in 2 different greys - Steel Grey and Carbon Grey.  Steel grey is the lighter of the two, wihilst Carbon Grey is a fair bit darker, closer to black.  To confuse matters carbon grey often gets called Carbon Steel Grey (CSG) due to differing names in different markets. 

It's possible the car in the first link is Steel Grey but difficult to tell. They could both be carbon grey, maybe it's just the lighting in the photos making them look different.
« Last Edit: 02 November 2014, 19:42 by Booth11 »
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 02 November 2014, 19:43 »
You'll be lucky to swap. The Marshal car is a 10 plate but has no rear LEDS. Bedford advert states LED day time running lights, no it hasn't. Hmmm stick to the remap, wheels and go for those xenon/drls that jayGTD has fitted, they're miles cheaper than the OEM and just as good. That's my opinion  :smiley: A rear GTI valance and twin outlet exhaust and you'll be really sorted  :grin:
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 02 November 2014, 19:56 »
This pic shows the two colours.  Top pics are Carbon Grey, bottom pics are Steel Grey (also called United Grey in foreign markets)

Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline yabot

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 02 November 2014, 19:58 »
You'll be lucky to swap. The Marshal car is a 10 plate but has no rear LEDS. Bedford advert states LED day time running lights, no it hasn't. Hmmm stick to the remap, wheels and go for those xenon/drls that jayGTD has fitted, they're miles cheaper than the OEM and just as good. That's my opinion  :smiley: A rear GTI valance and twin outlet exhaust and you'll be really sorted  :grin:

Yeah only thing is is i have absolutely no idea how to code for the Xenons... im pretty handy at figuring things out and a little technical but i'd be too scared to try any of the coding so kinda need to find somewhere that will do that for me.

Offline yabot

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 02 November 2014, 19:59 »
This pic shows the two colours.  Top pics are Carbon Grey, bottom pics are Steel Grey (also called United Grey in foreign markets)

Ah sweet, thanks for that. See there i dont mind the lower one! I'm going to get the dealership to send through a few more pictures as im not convinced on the colour of it, maybe cameras off or lighting i dont know!

Offline yabot

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 02 November 2014, 20:03 »

Yeah the rear LED''s are a must have so i'd have to get them fitted... does have a sunroof though  :smug: great in manchester :P.